See Credit Details Below
Leaves of absence and workplace accommodation matters pose complex legal, regulatory, policy and cultural challenges for both employers and employees. Certain types of conditions and circumstances make addressing them even more challenging. For example, behavioral, mental health, chronic medical conditions, and substance abuse issues in the workplace are on the rise and can make addressing leaves of absence and accommodations particularly difficult. In addition, employers are increasingly grappling with emerging trends relating to accommodating medical marijuana use, often in the face of drug-free workplace mandates. Meeting the challenges posed by these issues involves a delicate balance of legal, safety, and employee relations considerations and requires an understanding of the substantive and practical considerations involved in achieving legal compliance.
In this program, practitioners from the employee advocacy and management defense bars, along with in-house counsel, agency representatives, and HR professionals will share legal updates and practical insights on how to manage risk relating to decisions around leaves of absence and workplace accommodations. In addition to delving into substantive considerations, panelists will share practical approaches to addressing leaves and accommodations through the use of real-life scenarios and provide insights into enforcement trends and how to proactively avoid risk. The program’s goal will be to define and refine the legal framework from which pragmatic solutions can emerge.
What You Will Learn
- Employment challenges relating to behavioral and mental health accommodations under the Americans with Disabilities Act
- The legal and practical frameworks for managing substance abuse issues in the workplace under the ADA and FMLA
- Considerations relating to accommodating the use of medical marijuana in the workplace
- EEOC enforcement trends under the ADA and proactive steps to reduce risk
- Common pitfalls in administering the FMLA and how to avoid them
- Practical approaches to managing leave and accommodation processes
- Convenient half- day program format
- All new PLI program