See Credit Details Below
This Briefing will cover two policy updates from the Federal Emergency Management Agency (FEMA): 1) the COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program and 2) recent updates to the FEMA Individual Assistance Program and Policy Guide.
In April 2021, FEMA announced financial assistance would be made available for COVID-19 funeral expenses incurred after January 20, 2020. This funding is available under the Coronavirus Response and Relief Supplemental Appropriations Act of 2021 and the American Rescue Plan Act of 2021. In June 2021, the agency announced it would provide flexibility for documentation requirements. FEMA also recently updated the Individual Assistance Program and Policy Guide, which outlines FEMA’s assistance programs after a disaster declaration.
Faculty members will present on:
- The basics of the COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program and how applicants can appeal FEMA’s decision letter (25 minutes)
- FEMA’s recent amendment to the COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program (10 minutes)
- Best practices for attorneys representing individuals seeking assistance through the COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program (5 minutes)
- What attorneys need to know from FEMA’s recent updates to the Individual Assistance Program and Policy Guide (15 minutes)
- Resources available to individuals and families impacted by the COVID-19 pandemic (5 minutes)
This program is open to attorneys and other advocates working on natural disaster response and recovery, as well as anyone interested in learning more about FEMA’s new COVID-19 Funeral Assistance Program.
Lone Star Legal Aid
Brittanny Perrigue Gomez
Texas RioGrande Legal Aid
Pro Bono Net