See Credit Details Below
Why You Should Attend
This three-day program has been designed to ensure that all attendees – from beginners to experts – will benefit. The first two days will present a logical and comprehensive study of the framework and many important intricacies of Subchapter K, an area of the tax law that many believe can be understood only in its totality. The third day will focus on timely advanced and specialized topics, such as the partnership audit rules and international joint venture issues, and the application of partnership taxation to specific industries, including oil and gas, hedge funds and private equity funds. Throughout this intensive program, emphasis will be given to legislative, regulatory, and judicial developments in Subchapter K, as well as important partnership transactions, controversies, and trends.
The faculty will consist of some of the world’s leading experts and senior government officials with special expertise in the transactional aspects of structuring partnerships, joint ventures and other strategic alliances, both domestic and foreign. Many of the faculty have significant teaching experience and will adopt an approach designed to enable attendees to progress rapidly from an elementary understanding of the rules to the cutting-edge of the most complex of current transactional issues.
- Overview of partnership income taxation’s place in the overall U.S. tax regime
- Effects of recent or proposed tax legislation and pending regulatory proposals
- The benefits and detriments of choosing the partnership form
- Partnership interest basis issues, including allocation of liabilities
- Drafting partnership agreement allocation and distribution provisions
- Formation of partnerships, including joint ventures of operating businesses
- Partnership mergers and divisions
- Partnership audit rules
- International joint venture issues and planning
- Private equity passthrough investments
- Hedge fund structures and tax planning for managers and investors
- NEW SESSION: Tears of Losses: Partnership Loss Limitation Tiers
- Ethics Session: Balancing Tax Planning, Advocacy, and Professional Ethics: The Rules that Every Tax Advisor Should Know
- The Lightning Round: Hot Topics in Partnership Tax featuring government officials and private practitioners discussing recent and pending developments in partnership taxation
The faculty will consist of tax counsel with special expertise in the transactional aspects of structuring partnerships, joint ventures and other strategic alliances, both domestic and foreign. For some of the more advanced topics, the faculty will be joined by panelists from the government. Many of the faculty have significant teaching experience and will adopt an approach designed to enable attendees to progress rapidly from an elementary understanding of the rules to the cutting-edge of the most complex of current transactional issues.
Program Level – Overview
Intended Audience - Law firm and accounting firm professionals, in-house tax professionals and government attorneys who want to study the intricacies of Subchapter K and the application of partnership taxation to specific industries.
Prerequisites – An interest in exploring the legislative, regulatory and judicial developments in Subchapter K and important partnership transactions, controversies and trends.
Advanced Preparation – None