See Credit Details Below
Why You Should AttendThe past several years have brought a dizzying array of changes in patent law, between new legislation, new USPTO procedures, and Supreme Court activity at a rate not seen in decades. The Institute is your answer to keeping abreast of these myriad developments, whether your practice focuses on litigation, prosecution, or strategy/transactions. The six plenary sessions in this two day program will cover topics of interest to all patent lawyers, regardless of specialty area. Plus, the three track breakout session structure allows for a customized program agenda.
What You Will Learn
- New! Empirical and strategic analysis of patent appeals before the Federal Circuit and the Supreme Court
- New! Review of ITC patent practices by industry specialists
- Judges decide discovery disputes in real time with insider feedback
- Experts weigh in on how Director Iancu has changed patent policy and practice
- Corporate patent counsel discuss how to build a strong patent portfolio
- Federal judges from popular patent venues provide insights on patent litigation
- Software Patents – is the pendulum swinging back? And related practical considerations
- Prosecution "safe harbors" for computer methods and medical therapies in view of Supreme Court and Federal Circuit decisions and USPTO guidelines
Breakout sessions include:
Prosecution Breakout Track: Two sessions focused on the latest USPTO rulemaking efforts. Painlessly stay current with the rulemakers and guideline writer priorities: correcting filing receipts, ePetition filing, PPH and correcting the ADS! How has "regime change" affected the USPTO in the near and medium term? Are the emphasis and/or methods changing?
The USPTO is all about the Supreme Court, CAFC and PTAB. Is ongoing incremental change at the USPTO is what we can expect? Are software-implemented methods making a comeback in view of new policies? Do the USPTO guidelines reflect reality - or some USPTO variation – in the law? Is the CAFC getting a "handle" on how to implement Supreme Court decisions? Come to our USPTO intensive breakouts for Chemical, Bio and Software Practice and discover the trends!
Litigation Breakout Track: Analysis of successful and unsuccessful patent appeal strategies before the Federal Circuit and Supreme Court; understanding patent litigation in international jurisdictions; PTAB practice overview – the latest law and statistics concerning IPR, CBM and PGR proceedings; real-time judicial insight into deciding discovery disputes; and specialist analysis of ITC patent practice.
Strategic/Transactional Breakout Track: The key issues concerning patent-eligible subject matter in view of recent Federal Circuit decisions and USPTO reactions that continue to greatly affect patent practitioners; hot topics in patent licensing that every transactional lawyer should know (but might not); and corporate patent counsel discuss how to build a strong patent portfolio.
- Earn two hours of Ethics credit!
- Customize your Institute by choosing from 18 breakout sessions!
Who Should Attend
Patent practitioners of all varieties can truly make PLI's Patent Law Institute their one stop shop for patent law updates.