See Credit Details Below
Please be advised:
**The NY Live Webcast and Groupcast Locations on April 2-3, 2020 will include the plenary sessions and Prosecution Breakout sessions.
**The SF Live Webcast on April 23-24, 2020 will include the plenary sessions and Strategic & Transactional Breakout sessions.
Why You Should Attend
The past several years have brought a dizzying array of changes in patent law, between new legislation, new USPTO procedures, and Supreme Court activity at a rate not seen in decades. The Institute is your answer to keeping abreast of these myriad developments, whether your practice focuses on litigation, prosecution, or strategy/transactions. The six plenary sessions in this two-day program will cover topics of interest to all patent lawyers, regardless of specialty area. Plus, the three-track breakout session structure allows for a customized program agenda.
What You Will Learn
- New! Empirical and strategic analysis of patent appeals before the Federal Circuit and the Supreme Court
- New! Review of ITC patent practices by industry specialists
- Judges decide discovery disputes in real time with insider feedback
- Experts weigh in on how Director Iancu has changed patent policy and practice
- Corporate patent counsel discuss how to build a strong patent portfolio
- Federal judges from popular patent venues provide insights on patent litigation
- Software Patents – is the pendulum swinging back? And related practical considerations
- Prosecution "safe harbors" for computer methods and medical therapies in view of Supreme Court and Federal Circuit decisions and USPTO guidelines
Breakout sessions include:
Prosecution Breakout Track: Two sessions focused on the latest USPTO rulemaking efforts. Painlessly stay current with the USPTO rule-makers and guideline writer priorities, they’ll be giving the presentation, take advantage of the chance to ask questions! Learn about: correcting filing receipt errors, ePetition filing, PPH and correcting the all-important ADS!
The USPTO is all about implementing policy derived from Supreme Court, CAFC and PTAB precedent. Is ongoing change at the USPTO what we can expect? Are software-implemented methods viable in view of current policies? Do the USPTO guidelines reflect legal reality – or some USPTO variation? Has the CAFC lost the "handle" on how to implement Supreme Court decisions? Come to our USPTO intensive breakouts for Chemical, Bio and Software Practice and discover the trends!
Litigation Breakout Track: Analysis of successful and unsuccessful patent appeal strategies before the Federal Circuit and Supreme Court; understanding patent litigation in international jurisdictions; PTAB practice overview – the latest law and statistics concerning IPR, CBM and PGR proceedings; real-time judicial insight into deciding discovery disputes; and specialist analysis of ITC patent practice.
Strategic/Transactional Breakout Track: The key issues concerning patent-eligible subject matter in view of recent Federal Circuit decisions and USPTO reactions that continue to greatly affect patent practitioners; hot topics in patent licensing that every transactional lawyer should know (but might not); and corporate patent counsel discuss how to build a strong patent portfolio.
- Earn one hour of Ethics credit!
- Customize your Institute by choosing from 18 breakout sessions!
Who Should Attend
Patent practitioners of all varieties can truly make PLI's Patent Law Institute their one-stop shop for patent law updates.