See Credit Details Below
Why You Should Attend
PLI’s Patent Bootcamp offers an exceptionally comprehensive and interactive environment for attendees who want to learn the basics of patent application preparation, claims drafting, and prosecution, as well as recent developments in the law. This benchmark program provides a rare opportunity to receive individualized feedback and mentoring in focused small clinic group settings, where multifaceted strategies and best practices will be explored and discussed. Instructed by leading patent practitioners in the country who are skilled in various technology arts, attendees will work within the context of real life scenarios and be guided through the entire patent application process, receiving a thorough understanding of the basics of patent law. In addition, a litigator’s perspective is provided to show how drafting and prosecution can influence the development and outcome of patent litigation; and conversely, how a litigator’s perspective can inform patent drafting and prosecution practices.
What You Will Learn
PLI’s Patent Bootcamp features lectures each morning followed by clinic sessions in the afternoon where classroom problems and solutions will be furnished. Both the lectures and clinics follow the patent application process—from invention disclosure and patent preparation (Day 1), through prosecution, issuance and beyond (Day 2) to litigation/claim analysis (Day 3). At the end of this program, you will:
- Learn how to prepare a patent application that satisfies the statutory requirements for patentability and distinctly claims the subject matter that the applicant regards as the invention with an eye towards successful prosecution and enforcement
- Understand how to prosecute an application to obtain allowance of an enforceable patent
- Learn how to interview an Examiner
- Discover effective uses of reissues, supplemental examination procedures, reexamination, inter partes review, post-grant review, and other post-issuance proceedings
- Determine best practices to anticipate patent litigation issues during the patent prosecution process
- Get helpful approaches on patent opinion drafting
- Learn how to prepare infringement/invalidity claim charts for litigation
- Hear morning lectures on critical patent application topics
- Sharpen patent writing skills by drafting and reviewing patent claims with experienced patent practitioners in focused small clinic groups
- Recognize potential ethical issues practitioners often encounter in patent practice
Who Should Attend
Patent prosecuting and litigating attorneys, patent agents, technical advisors, patent liaisons, and patent inventors, with or without a Patent Office registration number and with little or no patent experience, will greatly benefit by attending this program.
Please note that this is an approved New York transitional program.
Full scholarships and discounts to attend PLI programs are widely available to attorneys working in nonprofit/legal services organizations; pro bono attorneys; government attorneys; judges and judicial law clerks; law professors and law students; senior attorneys (age 65 and over); law librarians and paralegals who work for nonprofit/legal services organizations; unemployed attorneys; and others with financial hardships. We encourage all eligible attendees to complete and submit a PLI Scholarship Application.