See Credit Details Below
Stay Ever Current: Subscribe today to BD/IA: Regulation in Focus
PLI’s blog edited by Clifford E. Kirsch.
Over the past few years, the SEC has put the regulation of investment advisers under the microscope, with advisers becoming a major focus of the SEC’s 2019 enforcement and exam program. As part of this focus, the SEC has set high expectations for advisers in identifying and responding to conflicts of interests and for providing robust and targeted client disclosures.
At the same time, the business landscape is dynamic with the emergence of digital advice, “break-away” broker dealers and continued innovation regarding advisory programs, including model-based programs.
At this program, attendees will get a solid foundation in the regulatory regime applying to investment advisers. Attendees will learn how the Investment Advisers Act of 1940 and state securities laws interact in governing the advisory industry. In addition to providing a solid foundation, the program will provide extensive discussion and analysis regarding “hot topics” facing advisers today.
A distinguished faculty will offer insights into recent developments, including the SEC’s adviser exam program and recent enforcement cases.
What You Will Learn
- Who are the regulators and how do they interact?
- What lessons can be learned from recent enforcement actions against advisers?
- What are the SEC’s 2019 exam priorities related to advisers?
- How does an adviser register with the SEC?
- What determines whether an adviser is SEC-registered or state-registered?
- What does an adviser’s fiduciary duty entail?
- What is the status of the SEC’s Fiduciary Duty Proposed Interpretative Release ?
- How are conflicts of interest managed and disclosed?
- What rules apply to adviser advertising?
- What is the role of the adviser’s Chief Compliance Officer
Program Level: Basic
Prerequisites: An interest in investment adviser issues.
Intended Audience: Attorneys and business professionals seeking to understand investment adviser regulation, should attend this program. Additionally, the program provides a refresher to those already working in the investment adviser industry.
Other Prerequisite (PLI program, if necessary): None
Advanced Prep: None