See Credit Details Below
Stay Ever Current: Subscribe today to BD/IA: Regulation in Focus
PLI’s blog edited by Clifford E. Kirsch.
Major changes in the broker-dealer industry and regulatory framework are anticipated as the SEC continues to advance its Regulation Best Interest, while various states advance their own fiduciary regulations. At the same time, the SEC, FINRA and the state regulators continue to scrutinize various brokerage practices via their respective examination programs. This program will provide attendees with a solid foundation in the regulatory regime applying to broker-dealers, including what to expect next regarding broker-dealer regulation. Attendees will learn how the Securities Exchange Act of 1934, FINRA rules and state securities laws interact in governing the brokerage industry.
Attendees will also learn about recent exam and regulatory enforcement activity by the SEC, FINRA, and the states and about how broker-dealers are responding to these developments and the challenges ahead for the industry.
A distinguished faculty will offer insights into recent rulemaking that is having a far-reaching impact on the day-to-day operations of firms.
What You Will Learn
- Who are the regulators and how do they interact?
- What is entailed with respect to the duty to supervise?
- Who is a broker-dealer and how do they register?
- What steps need to be taken in response to the SEC’s and FINRA’s focus on conflicts?
- What is “suitability”?
- What records are a broker-dealer required to maintain?
- What are the prospects of the SEC’s proposed Regulation Best Interest becoming a final rule?
- What practices could a broker-dealer establish with a view to satisfying the emerging state patchwork of fiduciary duty regulations?
- What are the SEC’s and FINRA’s 2019 exam priorities?
Program Level: Basic
Prerequisites: An interest in broker-dealer issues.
Intended Audience: Anyone entering the brokerage industry will benefit from this program’s thorough grounding in the basic regulatory regime governing the industry, as will anyone already working in the industry who would like a refresher.
Other Prerequisite (PLI program, if necessary): None
Advanced Prep: None