See Credit Details Below
Enacted in 2008, Illinois’s Biometric Information Privacy Act (BIPA) is one of the first and most stringent statutes regulating the collection, retention, use, and disclosure of biometric data in the United States. The past five years have seen a dramatic increase in class-action lawsuits brought under BIPA. These class actions present a significant threat due to BIPA’s severe penalties for violations, with bet-the-company consequences for many companies.
The threat presented by these class actions has forced many insureds to seek coverage for BIPA claims under General Liability and Employment Practices Liability insurance policies. The stakes for these coverage disputes could not be higher – depending on the outcome, many policyholders facing BIPA claims may have to shutter their doors.
Please join Greenberg Traurig, LLP partner Brett M. Doran and Miller Friel, PLLC partner Mark E. Miller as they discuss:
- BIPA’s scope and penalties [10 minutes]
- Defending BIPA class actions [15 minutes]
- Considerations for settling BIPA class actions [5 minutes]
- Types of insurance policies providing coverage [10 minutes]
- Positive impact of the Krishna Schaumburg decision [10 minutes]
- Best practices for policyholders confronted with BIPA claims [10 minutes]