See Credit Details Below
Full scholarships and discounts to attend PLI programs are widely available to attorneys working in nonprofit/legal services organizations; pro bono attorneys; government attorneys; judges and judicial law clerks; law professors and law students; senior attorneys (age 65 and over); law librarians and paralegals who work for nonprofit/legal services organizations; unemployed attorneys; and others with financial hardships. We encourage all eligible attendees to complete and submit a PLI Scholarship Application
Why You Should Attend
Learn the basics of California guardianship law and procedure so that you can competently represent a child or adult petitioner in establishing a guardianship of the person. This program will teach you how to represent parties in both uncontested and contested guardianship proceedings.
What You Will Learn
• Guardianship of the Person Law and Procedure
• Alternatives to Guardianship
• Judicial Council Forms Used for Guardianship of the Person
• Guardianship Procedure
• Guardianship Investigations
• Contested Matters and Trials
• Cases Involving Special Immigrant Juvenile Status and ICWA
• Post Guardianship Issues – Moving Out of State, Terminating Guardianship, Resignation, and Modifying Visitation
This program is appropriate for newly admitted and experienced attorneys who wish to represent a child or adult petitioner in establishing a guardianship of the person. This training will not cover guardianship of the estate.