See Credit Details Below
Effective representation can make the difference between a family keeping their home and becoming homeless. The housing crisis is only getting worse in California; the tide of displacement leaves more and more people on the street. Those who are evicted face not only the loss of their home, but also displacement from their community. Successfully defending an unlawful detainer is a profound way to impact a tenant’s life; housing instability and homelessness have long-term harmful consequences.
For newer attorneys with limited litigation experience, the fast-paced unlawful detainer is also an excellent opportunity to develop skills; your case may be heading into trial only a month after the summons and complaint are served. This training provides the basic knowledge you will need to effectively defend tenants from eviction, including new tenant protections effective January 1, 2020.
What You Will Learn
- Procedural basics of the limited jurisdiction unlawful detainer case;
- How to draft an effective Answer to an Unlawful Detainer Complaint and spot defects in eviction notices;
- Strategic use of responsive motions to attack faulty notices and complaints;
- Trial skills, including evidentiary motions;
- Basics of anti-discrimination laws protecting tenants, and how to assert a fair housing defense in an unlawful detainer;
- How to craft a settlement agreement that protects your client’s rights.