See Credit Details Below
Designed for lawyers of all experience levels, this program will review which common accounting concepts emerge in legal work and what lawyers should consider when encountering them. Having a basic knowledge of accounting concepts empowers lawyers in their practice, allowing them to better understand the full picture of legal matters they work on that involve elements of accounting or finance. Experts in the legal and accounting professions will lead attendees through practical segment discussions, taking an in-depth look at the elements of varying financial statements and what they really reveal about the entity overall.
New this year is a more thorough review of the impact on accounting fraud and forensic investigations, and what lawyers should keep in mind when dealing with internal controls and the regulatory requirements that apply to them. Learn how to avoid simple mistakes that can accidentally lead to fraudulent financial reporting issues. Additionally, attendees will also have the opportunity to learn the evolving legal ethics issues that come up in financial reporting and when dealing with accounting. Unique to this program is the review of how legal ethics and accounting professional rules of conduct intersect, a discussion for professionals in both the legal industry and accounting.
What You Will Learn
• New! Working with outside counsel and forensic accountants to perform internal investigations
• New! Overview of what attorneys need to know about the components of internal controls
• Understanding Generally Accepted Accounting Principles (GAAP)
• Learning the accounting cycle
• How to read the balance sheet, income statement, statement of cash flows, and notes to the financial statements
• Evolving ethical issues when dealing with financial information
• Regulatory changes and views from those impacted or involved in the changes
• Tax accounting vs book accounting
• Earn 1.5 hours of Ethics credit
Program Level: Overview
Intended Audience: Lawyers of all experience levels.
Advanced Prep: None