See Credit Details Below
ACLEA 2018 Award – Best Public Interest Category
This course is designed for anyone who wants to learn more about how to meet the unique challenges posed by pro bono clients.
Why you should participate
Participants will learn how to interview and counsel domestic violence survivors in meetings with their clients. A companion course will teach participants how to develop and execute a strategy for handling domestic violence cases in court.
What You Will Learn
After going completing this program, participants will be able to:
- Identify the range of situations that constitute domestic violence
- Manage their responses to the behaviors that a domestic violence survivor may exhibit
- Empower clients to set their own goals
- Put a legal plan in place to support clients’ goals
- Respond and react when clients raise issues of threats, imminent harm, and child abuse
- Handle situations when clients do not respond or do not show up for planned meetings or court dates
- Take care of themselves during and after working with domestic violence survivors
This program is from PLI's Interactive Learning Center. It offers a high level of participant engagement and requires more program interactions than a traditional program.
Who Should Attend
Attorneys working for organizations providing legal services to domestic violence survivors and attorneys who serve or would like to provide pro bono assistance domestic violence survivors.
- The Effects of Trauma on the Domestic Violence Survivor (27.5 Minutes)
- Building a Relationship with the Domestic Violence Survivor (27 Minutes)
- Determining the Client’s Goals (24 Minutes)
- Putting a Plan in Place (28.5 Minutes)
- Ethical Concerns when Working with the Domestic Violence Survivor (47.5 Minutes)
- Capstone Activity (46.5 Minutes)
- Self-Care and Wrap-Up (17.5 Minutes)
Total Estimated Time to complete this Program: 3 hours 38 minutes
Look for additional online programs from the
Interested in learning more? Hear from a pro bono leader and an expert in learning design about how thoughtfully designed training can help lawyers at all stages of their careers become more effective and resilient advocates.