See Credit Details Below
Litigation funding (also referred to as litigation finance) has become a major force in the litigation landscape over the last number of years. According to a report by Westfleet Advisors, the litigation finance market currently sits at $12.4 billion, up by 10% from 2020 and by 32% more than the $9.4 billion in 2019.
Broadly speaking, litigation funding is investing in litigation, whether to finance cost/expenses of the litigation, or to buy or finance legal claims or awards like any other assets may be transferred or levered. Many practitioners are now familiar with “litigation funding” as a buzz word and the concept of third parties financing costs/expenses of litigation. However, the specifics of how these transactions work, and why litigants find them to be useful tools, are much less accessible.
In this One-Hour Briefing, Joseph Ehrlich, National Practice Leader for Private Equity, Family Office and M&A at Brown & Brown Risk Solutions, will be joined by Joseph Dunn, Managing Director at Fortress Investment Group LLC, John McNally, President at Palisade Insurance Partners LLC, and Mohsin Patel, Director at Factor Risk Management as they explore the following topics:
- What is litigation funding and how does it work? (15 minutes)
- What are litigation funders looking for and how are cases evaluated?
- How does litigation funding differ in different countries?
- What types of matters attract litigation funders?
- How are litigation funding deals structured? (10 minutes)
- How do smart lawyers use litigation funding strategically to benefit themselves and their clients? (10 minutes)
- What is driving the growth of the litigation funding market? (5 minutes)
- What is After the Event (ATE) Insurance and how does it work? (5 minutes)
- What other types of insurance is available for litigation funding and how do they work? (5 minutes)
- What impact does changes in the economy have on litigation funding? (5 minutes)
- What are the predictions for the litigation funding market in the next couple of years? (5 minutes)
Program Level: Update
Advanced Preparation: None