See Credit Details Below
By focusing on critical strategic practice tips, this highly engaging and dynamic program will well-equip junior and mid-level attorneys to prepare for, take, and defend depositions. Particular attention is given to the Federal Rules of Civil Procedure with distinctions made under New York practice. Seasoned litigators will explain how to prepare for as well as take and defend expert witness depositions. Panelists will further analyze examination techniques and discuss the increasing importance of deposition testimony in motion practice, at trial, and when evaluating the merits of a case for settlement. You will also learn best practices for taking remote depositions, including how to handle unique issues that arise when conducting depositions remotely using virtual deposition platforms. Our faculty of experienced litigators will share their insights and provide practical advice to guide you through every facet of the deposition process and will give you tips to develop the fundamental skills for taking and defending depositions. Participants will engage in interactive discussions of important ethical issues that may arise during depositions. Attendees will gain a better understanding of the tactical and strategic considerations behind the deposition techniques employed in high-stakes litigation so that you can confidently prepare for and take your next deposition whether it's live or remote.
What You Will Learn
After completing this program, participants will be able to:
- Determine where each deposition fits into your overall discovery plan and litigation strategy
- Prepare for a deposition, including being able to prepare an outline and select exhibits
- Understand the nuts and bolts of taking a deposition, including using stipulations, objections, and use of exhibits
- Gain techniques you can use to deal with difficult adversaries and witnesses
- Understand how to defend the deposition by making objections, instructing the witness, going off the record and more
- Prepare and depose expert witnesses
- Recognize best practices for taking remote depositions
Earn four transitional Skills credit
Program Level: Update
Prerequisites: Litigators of every level of experience will find this program valuable, but especially junior to mid-level associates looking to take and/or defend depositions.