Why You Should Attend:
The Consumer Financial Services 101 Studio Briefing series addresses fundamental laws and regulations underpinning the consumer financial services legal framework. This series brings together experts from a range of perspectives in consumer finance as they discuss topics that define how the current body of laws and regulations in a particular subset of consumer finance law developed.
This episode addresses fair lending and some of the basic terminology and practices that shape this principle of consumer finance practice. Our faculty discuss primary fair lending laws and explain the concept of proxies and protected classes to then provide examples of practices that may pose fair lending risks. The discussion also includes identifying potential consequences stemming from data collection, along with other related topics. This program should prepare the viewer with a basic understanding of the main legal principles of fair lending and some of their historical origins.
What You Will Learn:
- Discussing primary fair lending laws (i.e., the Equal Credit Opportunity Act and Regulation B, the Fair Housing Act, 42 USC 1981, state laws), including their scope and the types of practices they prohibit
- Defining “Protected Classes” under the fair lending laws, and an introduction to the concept of proxies
- Distinguishing Intentional Discrimination vs. Inadvertent Discrimination, and how to identify each
- Explaining examples of practices that are likely to present higher fair lending risk (e.g., Discretionary Processes, Geographic Distinctions)
- Understanding Data Collection and Use: What types of demographic data may be – and may not be – collected/used without running afoul of legal restrictions?
- Addressing “Hot Topics” in Fair Lending (e.g., Artificial Intelligence / Machine Learning, Redlining, Fee Practices, Equity Initiatives)
- Covering miscellaneous related issues (e.g., Adverse Action Notice Requirements)
Who Should Attend:
Attorneys in the early stages of consumer finance law practice should find this program to be informative.
PLI’s Studio Briefings are on-demand video CLE programs that feature an intimate and engaging round table discussion format with legal and industry experts addressing a range of topics. Visit our landing page for our library of PLI Studio Briefings.