See Credit Details Below
Asking the right questions in the right way can start your attorney-client relationship off on the right note and prevent unnecessary frustration. This skill is especially important when working with pro bono clients who have had limited experience with the legal system or face other barriers.
Why you should participate
This on-demand online course is for anyone who wants to learn more about how to master the art and science of interviewing pro bono clients. This program will teach new attorneys and seasoned professionals how to work effectively and cooperatively with their pro bono client.
What You Will Learn
After completing this program, participants will be able to:
- Prepare for client interviews
- Ask clients the right kinds of questions in the right order to get needed information
- Frame interview questions and respond to client’s answers
- Identify behaviors to use and avoid when interviewing clients
- Create an environment where clients feel comfortable sharing the truth about their case
- Identify common frustrations for pro bono clients and attorneys
- Anticipate and prevent client and attorney frustrations before they happen
- Mitigate frustrations when they arise
- Recognize when a third party is covered by privilege
- Communicate the implications of a third-party presence to clients
- Control an interview when a third party is present
This program is from PLI's Interactive Learning Center. It offers a high level of participant engagement and requires more program interactions than a traditional program.
Who Should Attend
All attorneys assisting pro bono clients through representation or in clinical settings, firm pro bono coordinators and partners, corporate law department pro bono managers, law clinic students and faculty, and public interest and non-profit organization attorneys and staff would benefit from this program.
1. The Science of Collecting Information (15:25 Minutes)
2. The Art of Collecting Information (18:38 Minutes)
3. Managing Frustrations (31:40 Minutes)
4. Third Parties (30:29 Minutes)
5. Capstone Activity (30:40 Minutes)
6. Wrap-Up (4:18 Minutes)
7. Summary (4:18 Minutes)
Total Estimated Time to complete this Program: 2 hours 31 minutes
Look for additional online programs from the