· Postal address (including billing and shipping addresses)
· Telephone number
· Fax number
· Email address
· Credit or debit card number
· PLI account ID
· Bar Number
We and our service providers may collect Personal Information in a variety of ways, including:
· We may collect Personal Information through the Services, e.g., when you register for a seminar or webcast, order and view live and on-demand streaming media, make a purchase, or use an App installed on a device provided to attendees at our seminars.
· We may collect Personal Information from you offline, such as when you attend one of our seminars, place an order over the phone or contact customer service.
· We may receive your Personal Information from other sources, such as public databases; joint marketing partners; social media platforms; from people with whom you are friends or otherwise connected on social media platforms, as well as from other third parties.
We and our service providers may use Personal Information:
· To respond to your inquiries and fulfill your requests, such as to send you newsletters, brochures, catalogs and e-mails.
· To send administrative information to you, for example, information regarding the Services and changes to our terms, conditions, and policies.
· To complete and fulfill your purchase, for example, to process your payments, have your order delivered to you, communicate with you regarding your purchase and provide you with related customer service.
· To send you marketing communications that we believe may be of interest to you.
· To personalize your experience on the Services by presenting products and offers tailored to you.
· To allow you to participate in sweepstakes, contests and similar promotions and to administer these activities. Some of these activities have additional rules, which could contain additional information about how we use and disclose your Personal Information, so we suggest that you read these rules carefully.
· To facilitate social sharing functionality.
· To allow you to send messages to a friend through the Services. By using this functionality, you are telling us that you are entitled to use and provide us with your friend’s name and email address
· For our business purposes, such as data analysis, audits, fraud monitoring and prevention, developing new products, enhancing, improving or modifying our Services, identifying usage trends, determining the effectiveness of our promotional campaigns and operating and expanding our business activities.
· As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities, including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
Your Personal Information may be disclosed:
· To our third party service providers who provide services such as data analysis, payment processing, order fulfillment, information technology and related infrastructure provision, customer service, email delivery, credit card processing, auditing and other similar services.
· To third parties to permit them to send you marketing communications, if you have opted in to such sharing.
· By you, on message boards, chat, profile pages and blogs and other services to which you are able to post information and materials (including, without limitation, our Social Media Pages). Please note that any information you post or disclose through these services will become public information, and may be available to users of the Services and to the general public. We urge you to be very careful when deciding to disclose your Personal Information, or any other information, on the Services.
· To a third party in the event of any reorganization, merger, sale, joint venture, assignment, transfer or other disposition of all or any portion of our business, assets or stock (including in connection with any bankruptcy or similar proceedings).
· As we believe to be necessary or appropriate: (a) under applicable law, including laws outside your country of residence; (b) to comply with legal process; (c) to respond to requests from public and government authorities including public and government authorities outside your country of residence; (d) to enforce our terms and conditions; (e) to protect our operations; (f) to protect our rights, privacy, safety or property, and/or that of you or others; and (g) to allow us to pursue available remedies or limit the damages that we may sustain.
We collect information related to your use of the Services for legal research (“Search Information”). We may use and share Search Information to improve our products and services. In addition, if you access the Services through a subscription provided by another party, such as a law firm with which you are affiliated, we may share Search Information with that party. If we share Search Information with a third party (other than with subscribers, as described in this paragraph), we will use reasonable efforts to first aggregate or anonymize Search Information, to help ensure that the recipient is unable to trace any such information back to a subscriber to our Services or to any of the subscriber’s clients. If we are unable to aggregate or anonymize Search Information prior to sharing it, then, except as otherwise set forth below, we will share it only pursuant to a confidentiality agreement that prohibits the recipient from any further use or disclosure of the information.
" is any information that does not reveal your specific identity or does not directly relate to an individual, such as:
· Browser and device information
· Information collected through cookies, pixel tags and other technologies
· Demographic information and other information provided by you
· Aggregated information
We and our third party service providers may collect Other Information in a variety of ways, including:
· Certain information is collected by most browsers or automatically through your device, such as your Media Access Control (MAC) address, computer type (Windows or Macintosh), screen resolution, operating system name and version, device manufacturer and model, language, Internet browser type and version and the name and version of the Services you are using. We use this information to ensure that the Services function.
· When you download and use one of our Apps, we and our service providers may track and collect App usage data, such as the date and time the App on your device accesses our servers and what information and files have been downloaded to the App based on your device number.
· Pixel tags (also known as web beacons and clear GIFs) may be used in connection with some Services to, among other things, track the actions of users of the Services (including email recipients), measure the success of our marketing campaigns and compile statistics about usage of the Services and response rates.
· We may use Flash LSOs and other technologies to, among other things, collect and store information about your use of the Services. If you do not want Flash LSOs stored on your computer, you can adjust the settings of your Flash player to block Flash LSO storage using the tools contained in the You can also control Flash LSOs by going to the and following the instructions (which may include instructions that explain, for example, how to delete existing Flash LSOs (referred to "information" on the Macromedia site), how to prevent Flash LSOs from being placed on your computer without your being asked, and (for Flash Player 8 and later) how to block Flash LSOs that are not being delivered by the operator of the page you are on at the time). Please note that setting the Flash Player to restrict or limit acceptance of Flash LSOs may reduce or impede the functionality of some Flash applications, including, potentially, Flash applications used in connection with the Services or our online content.
· is a number that is automatically assigned to the computer that you are using by your Internet Service Provider (ISP). An IP Address may be identified and logged automatically in our server log files whenever a user accesses the Services, along with the time of the visit and the page(s) that were visited. Collecting IP Addresses is standard practice and is done automatically by many websites, applications and other services. We use IP Addresses for purposes such as calculating usage levels of the Services, helping diagnose server problems, and administering the Services.
· Information such as your location, as well as other information, such as your preferred means of communication, practice area and year of law school graduation, is collected when you voluntarily provide this information. Unless combined with Personal Information, this information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Services.
· Aggregated Personal Information does not personally identify you or any other user of the Services, (for example, we may aggregated Personal Information to calculate the percentage of our users who have a particular telephone area code).
Please note that we may use and disclose Other Information for any purpose, except where we are required to do otherwise under applicable law. If we are required to treat Other Information as Personal Information under applicable law, then we may use it as described in “How We May Collect Other Information” section above, as well as for all the purposes for which we use and disclose Personal Information.
In some instances, we may combine Other Information with Personal Information (such as combining your name with your geographical location). If we combine any Other
Information with Personal Information, the combined information will be treated by us as Personal Information as long as it is combined.
We may use third-party advertising companies to serve advertisements regarding our products and services that may be of interest to you when you access and use the Services and other websites, based on information relating to your access to and use of the Services and other websites. To do so, these companies may place or recognize a unique cookie on your browser (including through the use of pixel tags). If you would like more information about this practice, including your choices in connection with it, please visit http://www.networkadvertising.org/managing/opt_out.asp and http://www.aboutads.info/.
Please note that we are not responsible for the collection, usage and disclosure policies and practices (including the data security practices) of other organizations, such as Facebook, Apple, Google, Microsoft, RIM or any other app developer, app provider, social media platform provider, operating system provider, wireless service provider or device manufacturer, including any Personal Information you disclose to other organizations through or in connection with our Social Media Pages.
We seek to use reasonable organizational, technical and administrative measures to protect Personal Information within our organization. Unfortunately, no data transmission or storage system can be guaranteed to be 100% secure. If you have reason to believe that your interaction with us is no longer secure (for example, if you feel that the security of any account you might have with us has been compromised), please immediately notify us of the problem by contacting us in accordance with the " " section below.
We give you many choices regarding our use and disclosure of your Personal Information for marketing purposes. You may opt-out from:
· Receiving electronic communications from us: If you no longer want to receive marketing-related emails from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out of receiving these marketing-related emails by going to your PLI profile at , selecting "Manage Email Preferences" and choosing Opt out. You may also send an email to or follow the unsubscribe instructions included in each marketing-related email.
· Receiving telephone calls, fax messages or postal mail from us: If you no longer want to receive marketing-related telephone calls or postal mail from us on a going-forward basis, you may opt-out of receiving these marketing communications by sending an email to and specifying the contact information used and form of marketing from which you are opting out.
· Our sharing of your Personal Information with third parties for their direct marketing purposes: If you would prefer that we do not share your Personal Information on a going-forward basis with third parties for their direct marketing purposes, you may opt-out of this sharing by sending an email to
We will try to comply with your request(s) as soon as reasonably practicable. Please also note that if you do opt-out of receiving marketing-related emails from us, we may still send you important administrative messages, and you cannot opt-out from receiving administrative messages.
If you would like to review, correct, update, suppress, or delete Personal Information that has been previously provided to us by you, you may contact us by writing to:
Director of Marketing
Practising Law Institute
1177 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
In your request, please make clear what Personal Information you would like to have changed, whether you would like to have your Personal Information that you have provided to us suppressed from our database or otherwise let us know what limitations you would like to put on our use of your Personal Information that you have provided to us For your protection, we may only implement requests with respect to the Personal Information associated with the particular email address that you use to send us your request, and we may need to verify your identity before implementing your request. We will try to comply with your request as soon as reasonably practicable.
Please note that we may need to retain certain information for recordkeeping purposes and/or to complete any transactions that you began prior to requesting such change or deletion (e.g., when you make a purchase or enter a promotion, you may not be able to change or delete the Personal Information provided until after the completion of such purchase or promotion). There may also be residual information that will remain within our databases and other records, which will not be removed.
The Services are not directed to individuals under the age of eighteen (18), and we request that these individuals do not provide Personal Information through the Services.
The Services are controlled and operated by us from the United States, and are not intended to subject us to the laws or jurisdiction of any state, country or territory other than that of the United States. Your Personal Information may be stored and processed in any country where we have facilities or in which we engage service providers, and by using the Services you consent to the transfer of information to countries outside of your country of residence, including the United States, which may have different data protection rules than those of your country.
We ask that you not send us, and you not disclose, any sensitive Personal Information (e.g., social security numbers, information related to racial or ethnic origin, political opinions, religion or other beliefs, health, criminal background or trade union membership) on or through the Services or otherwise to us.
Practising Law Institute
Attn: Director of Marketing
1177 Avenue of the Americas
New York, NY 10036
Please note that email communications are not always secure; so please do not include credit card information or sensitive information in your emails to us.