Thomas J. Ring has more than 25 years of experience in various aspects of patent and trademark law, including the preparation and prosecution of U.S. and foreign patent applications; representing clients in re-examinations and interferences; preparation of patent and trademark opinions including non-infringement, invalidity, product clearance, and trademark availability opinions; patent and trademark litigation; negotiating and drafting patent and trademark licenses, IP due diligence reviews, and IP litigation support.
Mr. Ring has been selected by the Chicago Daily Law Bulletin’s Leading Lawyer Network as a “Leading Lawyer.”
• Patent Prosecution
• Composites and Materials
• Automotive & Transportation
• Industrial & Mechanical Technologies
• Developed and prosecuted a client’s entire patent portfolio from the ground up, resulting in a substantial eight-figure purchase of those assets by a competitor.
• Successfully handled IP litigation resulting in one of the largest jury-verdict punitive damage awards in the United States at the time.
• Successfully conducted interference proceedings instigated in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office by a client’s most aggressive competitor.
• Successfully assisted a number of clients in designing around a main competitor’s patent portfolio providing a pathway that resulted in commercial successes for those clients.