A partner in the Corporate and Litigation Departments, Stephen Lamb focuses his practice on Delaware corporate law and governance issues arising in a variety of transactional and litigation contexts.
Judge Lamb joined Paul, Weiss in 2009 from the Delaware Court of Chancery, where he had served as Vice Chancellor since 1997. While on the Court of Chancery, Judge Lamb decided many important corporate and commercial law matters, including the multibillion-dollar Huntsman/Hexion merger agreement dispute, the fight over the governance of IAC/Interactive Inc. and many other significant cases. Over the course of his 12 years of service, Judge Lamb gained a national reputation as a knowledgeable, fair and efficient jurist.
Judge Lamb advises Paul, Weiss clients on a full range of issues that arise in transactions, investigations and litigation. Judge Lamb counsels boards of directors, special committees and independent committees on numerous issues, including fiduciary duties and other Delaware law aspects of corporate management, focusing especially on mergers and acquisition matters.
Some of Judge Lamb’s recent representations include:
- The Special Committee of C&J Energy in connection with its go-shop process;
- SIGA Technologies, Inc., in an appeal to the Delaware Supreme Court arising from a contract dispute with PharmAthene, Inc.;
- Encana Corporation’s defense of shareholder litigation arising out of the acquisition of Athlon Energy Inc. by its indirect, wholly owned subsidiary in a transaction valued at approximately $7.1 billion;
- Emdeon in its $3 billion sale to Blackstone;
- Harbinger Capital Partners’ defense of shareholder litigation arising out of the sale of its controlling interest in Spectrum Brands, Inc. to Harbinger Group, Inc.; and
- Viacom in a dispute over earn-out payments to selling stockholders of Harmonix Music Systems, developer of the “Guitar Hero” and “Rock Band” video games.
Judge Lamb continues to lecture and write on numerous corporate governance and Delaware law issues. He is recognized as a leading Delaware Chancery lawyer by Chambers USA and by Lawdragon as one of the 500 leading lawyers in the United States. He is a member of the American Law Institute and the Delaware State Bar Association. Judge Lamb is also a founding member of NYSE Euronext’s Commission on Corporate Governance.
Early in his career, Judge Lamb served as a Special Counsel in the Office of the General Counsel of the United States Securities and Exchange Commission.