Ron began practicing law in 1980 with the firm of Mitchell, Russell and Kelly, a small Chicago law firm specializing in the acquisition, development and operation of automobile dealerships. While there he helped draft and pass the Illinois Automobile Dealership Franchise Act, which was the first law passed in Illinois to afford protection to automobile franchisees from the manufacturers.
In 1988, Mitchell, Russell and Kelly merged with the Chicago firm of Rosenthal and Schanfield and Ron became involved in all facets of real estate transactions—sales, financing, acquisition and development of residential, commercial and industrial property, including shopping centers, office buildings and exposition venues. He represented lenders in commercial loan transactions and developers in construction and conversion projects. He was also involved in various real estate-related litigation matters representing lenders, landlords, tenants, owners and mechanic’s lien claimants.
Ron began his career in the title insurance industry in 1996, and since 2002, has been with Chicago Title. He has been involved with underwriting numerous multi-site, multi-state title insurance transactions, the most significant of which include:
- Sale and financing of $1 Billion for national trucking company involving 227 sites in 41 states
- Sale of $650 Million real estate portfolio for publicly-traded insurance company
- Sale of $500 Million commercial office buildings in TX and PA
- Refinance of 350-site fast food chain locations in 12 states
- $450 Million acquisition and refinance of 8 hotels in 7 states
- $350 Million bond refinance of 4 casinos
- Acquisition of over 1500 self-storage facilities in over 40 states for a publicly-traded REIT.
Ron has also been an adjunct professor at the College of Commerce and the School of Business at DePaul University, and a licensed Real Estate Instructor at several local community colleges. He is a past Vice-President of the District 44 School Board and Chair of its Finance Committee.
Ron currently lives on a small farm in a Chicago suburb with his family, including horses, chickens, sheep and Great Danes. He enjoys fishing, boating, hunting and smoking and curing various meats and cheeses.