Paul Straus is a partner in King & Spalding’s Trial and Global Disputes Group. Mr. Straus focuses his practice on securities litigation, accounting firm defense and complex financial and commercial disputes. He has successfully represented clients in a wide variety of issues in numerous federal and state courts and in investigations by the SEC and other government agencies.
His experience includes the following highlights:
- Defended Jean-Marie Messier, the former Chairman and CEO of Vivendi Universal, S.A., in the jury trial of In re Vivendi Securities Litigation (S.D.N.Y.), said to be the largest federal securities class action trial in history. After a four-month trial, the jury found in favor of Mr. Messier on all claims.
- Won the dismissal of all claims against global real estate company Mitsui Fudosan America, Inc. (see Rodriguez et al. v. Deputy Inspector Edward Winski et al., Civ. No. 12 CIV 3389 (NRB) (RLE)).
- Defended an accounting firm in a consolidated federal securities class action brought by shareholders of a Bermuda reinsurer with over 25 million shares outstanding during the class period (see Schnall v. Annuity and Life Re (Holdings), Ltd., 3:02 CV 2133 (EBB), 2007 WL 2936242 (D. Conn. Oct. 5, 2007)).
- Defended the former chairman and CEO of At Home Corporation in Leykin v. AT&T Corporation (S.D.N.Y.), a class action alleging securities fraud.
- Won the dismissal of all claims against an actuary in a suit brought by major New York pension funds (see New York District Council of Carpenters Pension Fund v. Savasta, No. 99 CV 11362 (GBD), 2005 WL 22872 (S.D.N.Y. Jan. 4, 2005)).
- Won the dismissal of all claims against the former CEO of Just For Feet, Inc., in an action by purchasers of $200 million in notes (see AAL High Yield Bond Fund v. Ruttenberg, 00-C-1404-S, 2001 WL 34372980 (N.D. Ala. Sept. 30, 2001)).
Mr. Straus has written and spoken on various aspects of the securities laws, accountant liability and civil litigation. Examples include:
- Panel Participant, "The Scope of Attorney-Client Privilege," New York City Bar Association, 2013-2018
- Speaker, Litigation 101:Practices & Latest Procedures Explained & Demystified, “The Basics of Federal Civil Procedure,” New York City Bar Association, June 19, 2014
- “Protection of Work Product Shared with Outside Auditors,” New York Law Journal, December 16, 2010
Before joining King & Spalding, Mr. Straus was a litigator at the law firms of Paul, Hastings, Janofsky & Walker LLP and Battle Fowler LLP.
Mr. Straus received his Bachelor of Arts in History with Distinction in All Subjects in 1989 from Cornell University. He received his Juris Doctor in 1992 from New York University School of Law.