Nancy E. Wolff is a member of the intellectual property, media and entertainment law firm of Cowan, DeBaets, Abrahams & Sheppard, LLP located in New York, New York and Beverly Hills, CA. Nancy provides unique legal services for individual creators and multimedia companies of all sizes. Experienced in copyright, trademark and digital media law, Nancy offers full legal support to a wide range of traditional and digital media clients.
Operating almost as an in-house lawyer, Nancy advises her clients on the registration and protection of intellectual property in the area of copyright and trademark, advises when releases are necessary under various publicity laws, and how to promote the client’s products and services without running afoul of the many advertising and privacy rules that are developing. She advises on creative ways to structure deals, make acquisitions or sell properties; reviews licensing and services agreements, as well as offering support to resolve any kind of legal dispute. While she explores the potential to resolve disputes amicably, with the aim to reach a fair settlement as efficiently as possible, if the enforcement or protection of her clients’ rights requires legal intervention, she is a strong and dedicated advocate for her client. She represents trade associations in advocating to changes to Federal copyright law as well as state laws that affect he various licensing industries.
ASSOCIATIONS AND ACTIVITIES
• Copyright Society of the USA (CSUSA), Immediate Past President
• American Bar Association (ABA), Intellectual Property Section; Committee on Copyright and Technology and Visual Arts and Dramatic Works Committee, and member of Intellectual Property Section Task Force on Copyright Reform,
• Media Law Resource Center (MLRC), member
• Section 108 Study Group, convened by the Library of Congress, and charged with updating the Copyright Act, previous member
AWARDS AND RECOGNITIONS
• Chambers & Partners USA, “Intellectual Property: Trade Mark & Copyright –New York,” 2017-2018
• Managing IP, “Top 250 Women in IP, ” 2018/19
• New York Metro Super Lawyer,” Super Lawyers, 2013-2017
• “Top 50: Women New York — Metro” Super Lawyers, 2015-2017
• “Picture Professional of the Year,” The American Society of Picture Professionals, 2007