Michael Hong is a partner in Davis Polk’s Corporate Department, practicing in the Investment Management Group. He advises sophisticated private fund managers across all asset classes in their most complex, high-value transactions. Mr. Hong’s advice encompasses fund formation, M&A-related transactions (with a special expertise around co-investments), and ongoing investment-related advice on behalf of private equity, growth capital, credit, hedge, energy, real estate, co-investment and fund of funds managers.
Mr. Hong also has extensive experience advising clients on secondary transaction matters, including GP-led secondary transactions. He also regularly advises clients in connection with GP-stake sales, as well as purchases, spin-outs and joint ventures involving alternative asset managers. Mr. Hong also regularly represents investment professionals in connection with their employment arrangements with fund sponsors.
Mr. Hong is featured regularly in various industry publications, including recent articles by The Wall Street Journal and Hedge Fund Law Report.
- Private Funds Management Magazine – One of the “30 Most Influential Private Equity Lawyers Under the Age of 40” stating, “[w]hen a big fund is being marketed, don't be shocked to find Michael Hong as part of the process.”
- Chambers USA
- Clients comment: "He has a lot of market knowledge, is very practical and has a lot of experience" and provides “great service to his clients.”
- The Legal 500 U.S. – One of a select few “Next Generation Lawyers”: Investment Fund Formation and Management
- IFLR1000 – "Highly Regarded," Private Equity, Private Equity Funds and Investment Management
- Who’s Who Legal – Described as “a much-respected and energetic lawyer”
- Super Lawyers – “New York Metro Rising Star”
- Lawdragon – “Insights: Private Funds”
- Bachelor of Commerce (B.Com.), University of Toronto, 2000
- J.D., University of Toronto Faculty of Law, 2004
- Gerald W. Schwartz Gold Medal
- M.B.A., University of Toronto, Joseph L. Rotman School of Management, 2004