Michael Urschel is a partner in King & Spalding’s Global Finance Group and splits his time between the firm’s Atlanta and New York offices. Mr. Urschel is active in King & Spalding’s leveraged finance, specialty finance, securitization and capital markets practices. Mr. Urschel represents financial institutions, sponsors, borrowers and specialty lenders in a wide variety of secured lending and debt capital markets transactions, with a focus on specialty finance, acquisition finance, receivables financing and asset securitization.
Recent transactions Mr. Urschel has structured and led include:
- representing initial purchasers in $5 billion of whole business securitizations of franchise royalties of brands such as Taco Bell, Arby’s, Jimmy John’s, Church’s Chicken, TGI Friday’s, Auntie Anne’s, Carvel, Cinnabon, McAlister’s Deli, Moe’s Southwest Grill and Schlotzky’s.
- representation of the sole structuring advisor in $460 million term and revolving acquisition financing and subsequent whole business securitization of subsidiaries of Driven Brands, Inc., a transaction which won International Financing Review’s North America Structured Finance Issue of 2015.
- representation of Five Guys Burgers and Fries in connection with $400 million securitization of franchise royalties and company-owned store revenues.
- representation of initial purchasers and issuers in over $1.2 billion in aggregate cellular tower, distributed antennae and related ground lease securitizations of subsidiaries of American Tower Corporation, InSite Wireless Group and Landmark Infrastructure Partners.
- representation of lender in $200 million first risk-retention compliant securitization of intermodal shipping containers.
- representation of structuring and placement agent in multiple financings of outdoor advertising receivables of Fairway Outdoor Advertising.
- multiple specialty leveraged finance facilities, including residual financings, structured device leasing and structured credit facilities, for the origination of real-estate lending platforms.
Mr. Urschel holds a Bachelor of Science in Business Administration with a second major in Mathematics, a J.D. degree and a Masters of Business Administration from the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, where he was Articles Editor for the North Carolina Law Review. He is recognized nationally in Capital Markets: Securitization by Chambers USA and was named a New York Metro Super Lawyers “Rising Star” in Banking for 2014 – 2016. Mr. Urschel serves on the Structured Finance Committee of the New York City Bar Association.
King & Spalding brings together more than 100 finance lawyers located in offices across the United States, Europe, Asia and the Middle East to represent lenders, investors, funds and borrowers in the full range of secured and unsecured financings. Over the past three years, we closed approximately 600 finance transactions for our clients, amounting to over $165 billion in aggregate financing.