Michael Hilkin is an associate in the State and Local Tax Group in the New York office. His practice focuses on tax transactions and controversies at the audit, administrative, and judicial levels.
Mr. Hilkin’s practice encompasses matters regarding sales and use taxes, property taxes, franchise and income taxes, gross receipts taxes, insurance taxes, telecommunication taxes, and unclaimed property, among others.
Mr. Hilkin has written and spoken on various state and local tax issues, and regularly writes for the firm’s newsletter New York Tax Insights.
Mr. Hilkin received his J.D. from the University of Iowa College of Law, where he was elected to the Order of the Coif and was the administrative editor of the Iowa Law Review. He received his B.A. summa cum laude from the University of Northern Iowa.
- University of Northern Iowa (B.A., 2006)
- University of Iowa College of Law (J.D., 2009)
- “Tribunal Holds Temporary Apartment Constituted a Permanent Place of Abode,” MoFo New York Tax Insights, Volume 9, Issue 2, February 2018.
- “Tribunal Holds That Retailer Must File Combined Reports with Related Intellectual Property Licensing Company,” MoFo New York Tax Insights, Volume 8, Issue 10, October 2017.
- “Tribunal Holds That Insurance Payments Paid to Captive Insurance Company Are Not Deductible,” MoFo New York Tax Insights, Volume 8, Issue 9, September 2017.
Recent Speaking Engagements
- COST Southwest West Regional State Tax Seminar, “Audits – Practices and Tips for Establishing the Best Case for Protest” (Dallas, Texas; June 28, 2017).
- Philadelphia Bar Association, “Nexus: Where the States Are and Where They Are Going” (Philadelphia, Pennsylvania; June 21, 2017).
- New Jersey State Bar Association Annual Meeting, “New Jersey Sales Tax Basics” (Atlantic City, New Jersey; May 19, 2017).