Martin H. (Marty) Myers is a partner in the firm's San Francisco office and a member of the Insurance Coverage and Arbitration practice groups, representing corporate policyholders in complex coverage disputes with their insurers.
A nationally recognized insurance recovery practitioner, Mr. Myers has helped clients recover billions of dollars in a wide array of industries, from agriculture to technology.
For more than twenty years, he has litigated, arbitrated and resolved complex coverage disputes throughout the world over a variety of losses and claims, including media liability, intellectual property, product recall, catastrophic property and business income loss, securities fraud and derivative litigation, management and professional liability, marine cargo, crime, alien tort/torture victim protection act, employment practices, mass tort and long tail asbestos and environmental claims. Mr. Myers routinely advises clients on insurance program placement and complex risk transfer and indemnification issues; he is regarded as one of the world’s leading lawyers in transaction risk insurance products, including representation and warranty (warranty and indemnity) and tax loss insurance.
- Represented The Walt Disney Company in several insurance arbitrations in the US and Canada regarding coverage for major media liability/defamation, employment practices and class action matters.
- Represented Adobe Systems, Inc. in successful litigation in Northern District of California to obtain defense fees/costs and indemnification under errors and omissions policies for massive exposure in font rights and misappropriation litigation brought by Agfa Monotype (originator of Times New Roman font).
- Represented Sony Computer Entertainment America in obtaining substantial recovery through insurance litigation in Northern District of California and U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit for losses from consumer class actions for alleged damages associated with Sony PlayStation® game consoles.
- Represented the GIC, the Government of Singapore real estate sovereign wealth fund in successful litigation and arbitrations recovering full first party and third party policy proceeds for loss of warehouse storage facilities by fire outside of Seoul, and follow on liabilities to third party property owners and others.
- Represented the E. & J. Gallo Winery and glass bottle-making affiliate in successful insurance litigation for recovery of losses from first party and third party insurers for property damage and business income losses arising from catastrophic failure or glass furnace.
- Represented IAC/InterActiveCorp in obtaining substantial recoveries under errors & omissions policies for defense and settlement of consumer class actions over TicketMaster “Entertainment Rewards” programs; also advised IAC on errors and omissions and general liability coverage for match.com consumer class actions.
- Represented World Fuel Services in litigation in Southern District of New York obtaining complete recovery, plus interest under marine cargo policy for phishing theft of millions of tons of marine gas oil lost to pirates off the coast of Togo.
- Law360, Insurance MVP (2016)
- Chambers USA, Insurance: Policyholder
- The Best Lawyers in America, Insurance Law (2014-2018)
- The Legal 500 US
- University of Michigan Law School, J.D., 1987
- Miami University, B.A., 1984
- Numerous admissions pro hac vice throughout the United States
- Has appeared for clients in marine matters in Courts of Norway