Martin Wellington is the managing partner of Sidley’s Palo Alto office and a member of the M&A, Private Equity, Capital Markets and Emerging Companies and Venture Capital (ECVC) practices. Martin counsels technology companies and their sources of capital on a variety of transactions, including M&A, joint ventures and private as well as public offerings. He also regularly advises private equity investors and underwriters. His clients include publicly held technology companies in addition to companies looking to enter the public markets. Prior to joining Sidley, Martin was a partner with an international law firm and he also served at the U.S. Department of State from 1989–1993.
Martin was recommended in The Legal 500 US 2016 in several categories of M&A/Corporate and Commercial in addition to Finance Capital Markets. Named an “Up & Coming” lawyer for Corporate/M&A: Northern California in Chambers USA 2014, he was also featured in the Financial Times’ “US Innovative Lawyers” report for his work as lead counsel on two IPOs in 2011 and 2012. Martin earned his J.D., cum laude, from Harvard Law School and received his Master of International Affairs from Columbia University where he headed the International Security Policy Association. He graduated with a B.A. from the University of California, Irvine.
- Pandora Media in SiriusXM’s US$480 million investment in in Pandora’s newly authorized Series A Preferred Stock and its sale of Ticketfly to Eventbrite for US$200 million
- Angie’s List, Inc. on its merger with HomeAdvisor to form ANGI Homeservices Inc.
- Pandora Media in connection with its $345 million convertible note financing
- Acrisure in its recapitalization and partial buyout by ABRY Partners of Genstar’s position in Acrisure
- Intapp in its recapitalization and partial buyout by Temasek by way of a tender offer for a portion of the positions of Great Hills Partners and other pre-existing investors
- Vector Capital in connection with its sale of 20-20 Technologies to Golden Gate Capital
- CollabNet and Vector Capital on their acquisition of Version One
- Abakus on its acquisition by SAP
- Corel in its acquisition of MindManager
- Cadence in connection with its acquisitions of nusemi and Rocketick Technologies Ltd
- Blackbaud in its acquisitions of JustGiving SmartTuition
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 1996, cum laude)
- Columbia University (M.I.A., 1988)
- University of California, Irvine (B.A., 1986)