Martha E. McGarry is an internationally recognized corporate and securities law partner with extensive experience in both U.S. and cross-border mergers and acquisitions, shareholder activism and corporate governance matters. Representative clients include The Coca-Cola Company, American Express, The Hershey Company, Frontier Communications, Criteo, Lockheed Martin, Wal-Mart and The Clorox Company. Among the industries in which Ms. McGarry has substantial experience are consumer products, finance, telecommunications, real estate, technology, gaming, defense and pharmaceuticals. Her global representations include transactions in China, Southeast Asia, Europe, India and Latin America.
Recent representations include:
- The Hershey Company in connection with its $1.6 billion acquisition of Amplify Snack Brands (Skinny Pop) and in responding to a $23 billion unsolicited offer from Mondelez International;
- The Coca-Cola Company in its worldwide strategic partnership with Monster Beverage Corporation and its strategic partnership followed by the sale of Keurig Green Mountain;
- The Hershey Company in its acquisition of Chinese candy company Shanghai Golden Monkey Food Joint Stock Co., Ltd.;
- Criteo SA in its acquisitions of HookLogic and DataPop; and
- Frontier Communications Corporation in its $10.5 billion acquisition of the wireline businesses of Verizon in California, Texas and Florida and in its $2 billion acquisition of the wireline business of AT&T in the state of Connecticut.
In the REIT industry, Ms. McGarry advised Town and Country Trust, which was subject to a bidding war culminating in its $1.4 billion agreement to be acquired by a partnership led by Morgan Stanley and Onex Corp. In the hotel/gaming industry, she advised Caesars Entertainment, Inc. in its $9.4 billion merger with Harrah’s Entertainment, Inc. and the subsequent sale of seven individual casino hotels. In 2012, she was selected by Chambers USA for its first-ever Women in Law Awards as Corporate/M&A Lawyer of the Year. She was named Dealmaker of the Week by The Am Law Daily for her work advising American Express and CIT Group. Ms. McGarry also was named as one of Law360’s 2011 Top Female Deal Makers.
Ms. McGarry has been active in firm management, including serving on Skadden’s governing body, the Policy Committee, and chairing its global Business Development Committee.