Katya Jestin is co-chair of the firm’s Investigations, Compliance and Defense Practice and counsels companies and executives in criminal, regulatory, and congressional investigations, including representing clients before the United States Department of Justice, the Securities and Exchange Commission, and the U.S. Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations. She also conducts internal investigations on behalf of corporate clients, provides counsel to senior management on FCPA and other compliance issues, and served as counsel to the Examiner in the Lehman Brothers bankruptcy examination.
Ms. Jestin’s recent engagements have included:
- Representing a global airline in connection with a Department of Justice fraud investigation resulting in a non-prosecution agreement.
- Representing an international law firm in a government investigation resulting in no charges.
- Served as part of the team representing General Motors in an investigation by the US Attorney’s Office of the S.D.N.Y, culminating in the resolution of the matter with a deferred prosecution agreement.
- Representing an originator in a Department of Justice FIRREA investigation.
- Serving as a national counsel to a group of consumer installment lenders and loan servicers facing civil litigation and regulatory enforcement actions throughout the country, including a first-of-its-kind lawsuit brought by the Consumer Financial Protection Bureau (CFPB).
- Representing executives of global financial institutions in connection with multiple money laundering and OFAC investigations by banking regulators, the Department of Justice and the New York County District Attorney’s Office.
- Defending a hedge fund CFO in the Southern District of New York and before the Securities and Exchange Commission
- Representing executives before the United States Senate Permanent Subcommittee on Investigations in a money laundering and terrorist financing investigation.
- Defending financial institution executives in connection with a Department of Justice probe into municipal bond bid rigging practices.
- Pro bono representation of indicted individuals in the S.D.N.Y., including obtaining a complete dismissal of all charges against one defendant.
Ms. Jestin joined Jenner & Block after serving as an Assistant United States Attorney and a supervisor in the Criminal Division of the Eastern District of New York, where she was involved in investigations, prosecutions and trials involving fraud, money laundering, and other white collar offenses. She also successfully prosecuted the leadership of three of the five Las Cosa Nostra organized crime families. She was co-counsel in the RICO prosecution of Gambino boss Peter Gotti and 16 co-defendant for labor racketeering, fraud and corruption, resulting in the conviction of all defendants.