Kathleen Spears is a Director at Ankura with over two decades of experience within the healthcare industry, including government, academic, medical centers, health systems, hospitals, physician practices, and ancillary business lines. She is based out of Chicago.
Kathleen is a seasoned audit and compliance leader with extensive skills in healthcare regulatory compliance reviews, fraud investigations, litigation support, reimbursement analysis, risk assessment, and strategic planning. She has notable experience in managing Medicare and Medicaid recovery audit efforts, government investigation response, clinical research billing, and Corporate Integrity Agreement implementation and has served as a trusted advisor and consultant to all levels of staff and management while balancing operational, financial, and regulatory concerns to deliver proven and effective results.
Kathleen’s professional experience includes:
- Clinical research billing and revenue integrity matters.
- Administrative lead and litigation support for DOJ/OIG/MFCU for multiple matters, including initial investigation, subpoena and discovery response, and final settlements.
- Managed the conflict of interest process for board, staff, and physicians for a large integrated healthcare delivery system.
- Corporate Integrity Agreement and compliance program management, including annual independent review organization engagements, covered persons process, disclosure log and reportable events, governance framework, overpayment reporting, risk assessment, training plan, and annual compliance work plan.
- Liaison to government agencies and audit contractors for recovery audit initiatives and revenue integrity issues.
- Compliance and revenue cycle experience in acute care hospitals, ancillary services, continuing care retirement communities, critical access hospitals, durable medical equipment, infusion services, emergency medical services, home health services, hospice, inpatient rehabilitation hospitals, medical education programs, specialty physician practices, and urgent care centers.
- Financial, operational, and IT audit experience in financial reporting, Medicare cost reports, system implementations, and process improvement.