Julianne Hartzell is a trial lawyer with significant experience in intellectual property litigation, including cases involving patent, trademark, copyright and trade secret. She also has experience enforcing covenants not-to-compete and confidentiality agreements. She represents clients in arbitration, mediation, district court litigation, appellate proceedings, and before the TTAB and PTAB.
Clients hire her to protect their intellectual property rights and to defend them against infringement allegations. She works closely with her clients to understand their business needs and aggressively defends her clients’ interests, seeking the most efficient route to resolve litigation in a way that satisfies those needs.
Julianne has completed the American Arbitration Association’s 40 hour mediator training and is available to mediate disputes.
In addition to her leadership role as the Chair of the Firm's Medical Devices practice, Julianne is a recognized leader in the legal and business communities:
- America’s 100 Top High Stakes Litigators® (2018)
- Litigation Trailblazers and Pioneers list, National Law Journal (2016)
- Law Bulletin’s "40 Illinois Attorneys Under Forty To Watch" (2014)
- The Best Lawyers in America© list, Litigation -- Intellectual Property category (2016-2018)
- "IP Star" in Managing IP's IP Stars Survey (fka the World IP Handbook and Survey) (2016-2018)
- "Emerging Lawyer," Emerging Lawyers Magazine (2015-2017)
- Illinois SuperLawers® list (2017-2018); Illinois Rising Stars® lists (2011-2016)
- Profiles in Diversity Journal's "Women Worth Watching" honoree (2015)
- "Top Rated Lawyer in Intellectual Property" by American Lawyer Media (ALM) and Martindale-Hubbell (2013, 2018)
- Chicago Bar Association's Alliance for Women's Alta May Hulett Award (2012)
- Martindale-Hubbell® AV Preeminent Peer Review Rating
- Fellow of the Litigation Counsel of America
Julianne earned B.S. degrees in Mechanical and Biomedical Engineering from Duke University. Her J.D. is from the University of Michigan Law School.