I joined Susman Godfrey in 1994, becoming a partner in 1998. Along with my colleagues at the firm, I specialize in winning trials: both the preparation involved in positioning a case for trial, and the ability to convince the fact finder, be it jury, judge, or arbitration panel, of the merit of my client's case. I am equally adept at representing plaintiffs and defendants, and believe that an active practice for both plaintiffs and defendants makes me a more effective lawyer then one who concentrates solely on the plaintiff's or defendant's side.
In today's world of complex business litigation, clients have become risk- adverse, and more cases settle after extensive pre-trial maneuvers then used to. Why then the need for business litigation trial lawyers? There are two reasons. First, significant, beyond client expectation settlements only happen when the attorney handling the case prepares the case for trial, regardless of any settlement expectations. Only when the case is managed to be tried from the first day forward will these settlements happen. I believe in answering the following question in the first weeks of any engagement: what do I need to prove to obtain the verdict my client desires? How the case is managed from that point on flows from that question. I do not waste time trying to "win" discovery disputes. The only "win" that interests me is having the fact finder find for my client.
My experience is as varied as one would expect from an attorney who focuses on litigating cases, and refuses to specialize in anything but trial advocacy.
Below is a representative sampling of cases I am currently involved in, as well as past results (weighted to the recent past).
The Hotchkiss School (1983)
Georgetown University (B.A. in History & Government, magna cum laude, 1987)
Yale Law School (J.D., 1992)
Law Clerk to The Honorable Lynn N. Hughes, United States District Court for the Southern District of Texas, 1992-94
Honors and Distinctions
- Morris Historical Medal for Best Senior Thesis in History, Georgetown
- Phi Beta Kappa, Georgetown
- Senior Editor, Yale Law Journal (1991-92)
- Managing Editor and Student Writing Editor, Yale Journal of International Law (1990-91)
- Named "Texas Rising Star" (2005) in Texas Monthly magazine.
Professional Memberships and Associations
- State Bar of New York (admitted 1993)
- State Bar of Texas (1994)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit (1995)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Federal Circuit (1999)
- United States Court of Appeals for the Second Circuit (2002)
- United States Supreme Court (2003)
- Eastern District of Texas (2006)
- Northern District of Texas (2003)
- Southern District of Texas (1995)
- Eastern and Western Districts of Arkansas (2004)
- Northern District of Georgia (2004)
- Eastern District of New York (2007)
- Southern District of New York (2007)
- American Bar Association
- Houston Bar Association
- Houston Trial Lawyers Association