Mr. Banes, a partner based in Davis Polk’s London office since 1994, represents clients in all types of corporate finance transactions involving financial institutions and other European companies. He is also a member of the firm’s white collar and criminal defense practice and the internal investigation practice, and advises non-U.S. and U.S. companies on investigations and compliance matters and related corporate governance, financial reporting and disclosure issues.
- SEC-registered and Rule 144A/Regulation S offerings (including equity, convertible debt, preferred securities, investment-grade and other debt) by European financial institutions, including ABN AMRO, Deutsche Bank, Lloyds Banking Group, UBS, Julius Bär and DnBNor
- IPOs by European issuers, including ABN AMRO, Telecolumbus, Scout24 and Schaeffler AG.
- U.S. and non-U.S. companies on the U.S. Foreign Corrupt Practices Act (FCPA) and related anti-corruption matters, including internal investigations and transactional and governance advice
- Siemens AG on the resolution of the SEC and Department of Justice investigation into violations of the FCPA
- The audit committee of Royal Dutch Shell in connection with their investigation of Shell’s recategorization of oil and gas reserves
- Edwards Group on its sale to Atlas Copco
- A major European transportation company on various global operational joint ventures
- Financial advisers to Mittal Steel on its unsolicited offer for Arcelor
Mellon Fellow in History, Columbia University, 1986-1987
Teacher (English), Tunghai University, Taichung, Taiwan, 1984-1986
A.B., Princeton University, 1984, summa cum laude
J.D., Yale Law School, 1991, Coker Fellow