Jeremy Kernodle is a litigator who focuses on government litigation and appeals. He has successfully litigated cases against various federal agencies, including bid protests in the U.S. Court of Federal Claims. His experience covers a range of substantive legal areas, including healthcare, False Claims Act claims, constitutional and administrative law, and government contract disputes.
Before joining Haynes and Boone, Jeremy served as an attorney-adviser in the Office of Legal Counsel at the U.S. Department of Justice, where he was among a small number of lawyers advising the White House and other senior Executive Branch officials on constitutional and other significant legal issues. He previously worked at Covington & Burling in Washington, D.C., and served as a law clerk to the Honorable Gerald B. Tjoflat of the U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit.
A recognized leader, Jeremy is the Immediate Past-President of the Federal Bar Association, Dallas Chapter, and is the President of the local chapter of the Federalist Society. He was named a Rising Star in appellate litigation in Texas in 2010, 2011, 2012 and 2013, and a Leading Appellate Practitioner in the Fifth Circuit by Benchmark Litigation in 2011-2013.
- Representing national diagnostics laboratory in False Claims Act litigation (ongoing).
- Representing defense contractor in claim against the United States (ongoing).
- Persuaded Fifth Circuit to affirm summary judgment dismissing stock option backdating case brought by the Securities and Exchange Commission (5th Cir. 2012).
- Persuaded Fifth Circuit to affirm the dismissal of two lawsuits against Central American clients brought by American manufacturer Mars, Inc. (5th Cir. 2012).
- Won summary dismissal of False Claims Act suit against defense contractor client. (N.D. Tex. 2012).
- Advised health care provider in dispute against state-owned hospital system regarding multi-million dollar government contract.
- Co-author, "Year in Review, False Claims Act, 2013" (January 2014)
- Speaker, "Recent Developments in False Claims Act Litigation," Dallas Bar Association Health Law Section (January 2014)
- Co-author with Odean Volker and Nicole Somerville, "Are You Afraid of the False Claims Act? You Should Be," Houston Business Journal (August 2013)
- Panelist, "Advice & Tips for Practicing in the Northern District of Texas" (January 2012)
- Panelist, "The Rise in Whistleblower Liability" (June 2011)
- Named a Fifth Circuit Litigation Star in Texas in Benchmark Appellate (2012-2013)
- Named a Leading Appellate Practitioner in the Fifth Circuit by Benchmark Litigation (2011)
- Selected for inclusion in Texas Super Lawyers - Rising Stars Edition (2010-2013)
- Federalist Society, Dallas Chapter, President (present)
- Federal Bar Association, Dallas Chapter, President (2012-2013)
- Federal Bar Association, Government Contracts Section
- Dallas Bar Association, Appellate Section
- State Bar of Texas, Appellate Section
- Bar Association of the Fifth Circuit
- Patrick E. Higginbotham Inn of Court, Associate (2008)
- Litigation/Trial Practice
- Government Contracts
- Government Contracts Disputes
- False Claims Act/Qui Tam
- Fraud, Abuse, and Compliance
- J.D., Vanderbilt University Law School, 2001, Founder's Medal (for graduating first in class); Order of the Coif; Articles Editor, Vanderbilt Law Review; Morgan Prize for best student Note
- B.A., Harding University, 1998, summa cum laude
- B.B.A., Harding University, 1998
- Texas, 2001
- District of Columbia, 2002
- U.S. Supreme Court
- Texas Supreme Court
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Third Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fourth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Fifth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Appeals for the Ninth Circuit
- U.S. Court of Federal Claims
- U.S. District Court for the Northern District of Texas
- U.S. District Court for the Southern District of Texas
- The Honorable Gerald B. Tjoflat, U.S. Court of Appeals for the Eleventh Circuit