Gregory Heibel, a partner in the Silicon Valley office, is a member of the Technology Companies Group, which advises emerging and public technology companies, venture capital firms and other technology investors, as well as Orrick’s Energy Group. Greg's practice includes the formation, financing and general corporate counseling of rapidly growing technology companies; the representation of venture capital firms and other investors in private and public offerings, as well as other complex transactions related to high growth companies.
Greg has completed hundreds of financings, mergers, acquisitions and intellectual property transactions for clients in the networking, wireless, Internet, software, life sciences and consumer industries. Additionally, Greg has represented numerous Nasdaq listed companies in their public offering, mergers and acquisitions and ongoing corporate governance needs, including Foundry Networks, Virage Networks, Adeza, Laserscope, Intellisync and Preview Systems.
Greg also was an Assistant Investment Manager for Genevest, a venture capital firm based in Geneva, Switzerland, where he participated in the first organizational meeting of the European Union World Wide Web Consortium. In addition, Greg has worked with a number of venture capital backed technology companies in operational and advisory roles, including Intellimeter, eT Communications and Metering Technology Corporation.
Some of these clients include:
• Argyle Data (funded by Acero Capital, ATA Ventures, Intel Capital, Qualcomm Ventures, SK Telecom Ventures, Vodafone)
• Banyan Water (funded by Catamount Ventures, Cue Ball Capital, Centennial Ventures)
• Bash Gaming (acquired by Game Show Network)
• Biba (funded by Benchmark Capital, InterWest Partners, Trinity Ventures)
• CubeTree (acquired by SuccessFactors)
• DataScience (funded by Pelion Venture Partners, Greycroft Capital, White Hart Capital)
• EchoSign (acquired by Adobe Systems)
• eduPath (funded by Mohr Davidow Ventures, Qualcomm Ventures and TriplePoint Capital)
• Facebook (funded by Accel Partners, Founders Fund, Microsoft and others)
• Firetide (funded by Menlo Ventures, Coral Management and Mitsui)
• Fractal Analytics (funded by TA Associates)
• Grid Net (funded by Intel, Catamount and Braemar)
• Handmark (acquired by Sprint)
• HubPages (funded by Hummer Winblad Venture Partners, Storm Ventures)
• Life360 (funded by Bessemer Venture Partners, Fontinalis Partners)
• MashLogic (acquired by Groupon)
• Mygola (acquired by MakeMyTrip)
• MyTime (funded by Upfront Ventures)
• QuickPay (funded by Fontinalis Partners)
• Recurrent Energy (acquired by Sharp)
• Reserve (funded by Expa Capital and Human Ventures)
• SideCar (acquired by GM)
• Sindeo (funded by major international venture capital funds)
• ShieldX (stealth mode, funded by major US venture capital funds)
• Sincerely (acquired by Provide Commerce)
• Snapverse (funded by private investors)
• Sqor (funded by private investors)
• SoMetrics (acquired by American Express)
• TidalScale (funded by Hummer Winblad Venture Partners, Bain Capital, Sapphire Ventures)
• UniversityNow (funded by Bertelsmann AG, University Ventures, Kapor Capital, Novak Biddle Venture Partners)
• Verayo (funded by Khosla Ventures)
• Voxify (acquired by 24/7 Together)
• Zoosk (funded by Canaan Partners, Bessemer Venture Partners)
Greg has also represented numerous venture capital firms and strategic investors in their investment activities, including Microsoft, Canaan Partners, Endeavour Vision, Lux Capital, Pelion Venture Partners, Total Ventures, DoubleRock, Sigma Capital, Maveron, Menlo Ventures, Mohr Davidow Ventures, Kleiner Perkins Caufield & Byers, Bessemer Venture Partners, VantagePoint Venture Partners, DoubleRock and Grey Capital.
Greg is a frequent member of the Practicing Law Institute faculty, lecturing to the legal community on venture capital and other early stage financing transactions.
Before joining Orrick, Greg was an attorney with Venture Law Group.
• Technology Companies Group
• M&A and Private Equity
• J.D., cum laude, Cornell Law School
• M.B.A., Cornell University, Johnson Graduate School of Management
• B.A., with honors and distinction in general scholarship, University of California, Berkeley
• State Bar of California