George Wheeler has counseled corporate clients for more than 25 years in a wide variety of patent matters, securing hundreds of patents in such industries as chemical, mechanical and medical technologies. His specialty is patent analysis, both for patentees and for opponents of patents, and prosecution and strategic development of high-value patent portfolios. His work also includes over 25 post-grant patent review proceedings in the U.S. Patent and Trademark Office.
George’s other professional accomplishments include: election as Secretary of the American Intellectual Property Law Association (AIPLA) (2003-2006); election as a member of the Board of Managers of the Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC) (2006-2008); serving as Chair (2001-2003) and Vice Chair (1999-2001) of the Chemical Practice Committee of the AIPLA; serving as Chair (2012-2014) and Vice Chair of the U.S. Patents Committee of the IPLAC.
• Chemical and Pharmaceutical Claim Drafting, ADVANCED PATENT PROSECUTION SEMINAR: CLAIM DRAFTING & AMENDMENT WRITING, Practising Law Institute Intellectual Property Course Handbook Series (2016-2018)
• Drafting Pharmaceutical and Chemical Patent Claims in View of the Nautilus Standard for Definiteness, ADVANCED PATENT PROSECUTION SEMINAR: CLAIM DRAFTING & AMENDMENT WRITING, Practising Law Institute Intellectual Property Course Handbook Series (2015)
• Patent Portfolio Strategy for the America Invents Act, 12 J. MARSHALL REV. INTELL. PROP. L. 289 (2013).
• Practising Law Institute Advanced Patent Prosecution Seminar, Chemical and Pharmaceutical Claim Drafting, 2015-2018,
• So You Have a Pre-AIA Patent Portfolio: How to Maintain Its Pre-AIA Status in 2014 and Beyond, Intellectual Property Law Association of Chicago (IPLAC), March 2014.
• Developing and Growing Patent Portfolios, McAndrews, Held & Malloy Symposium on Intellectual Property Law, October 2013
• The New America Invents Act Prior Art Rules: Why and How to Avoid Them, IPLAC, January 2013.