Gary Gerstman is a partner in the firm’s Chicago office. He joined the firm in 1992 and became a partner in 2000. His practice encompasses a wide variety of transactions, including: the representation of purchasers and sellers in mergers and acquisitions involving public and private entities; issuers and purchasers in private equity and debt transactions; strategic alliance and joint ventures; and issuers in public offerings of equity and debt. He is a global co-leader of the Firm’s Technology Industry Group. In IFLR1000 (2011) and The Legal 500 (US) (2009, 2014), Gary was commended for his work in mergers and acquisitions. Gary also regularly advises NYSE and NASDAQ issuers on a broad range of matters, including the federal securities laws, corporate governance and shareholder engagement and activism. Clients served in representative transactions (14 of which were in excess of $1 billion) include:
- Aon Corporation in its merger with Hewitt Associates, Inc., the acquisition of National Flood Services, the sale of Combined Insurance to ACE Limited, the sale of its Sterling Life Insurance unit to Munich Re, the sale of its warranty business to Onex Corporation, the sale of its U.S. premium finance business to BB&T Corporation, the sale of its wholesale brokerage business to Hicks Muse, the sale of its claims processing business to Scandent Group, the sale of certain property/casualty operations to Berkshire Hathaway, the sale of eSolutions to Symphony Technology Group and the sale of its fire protection engineering business to Jensen Hughes.
- Catamaran Corporation (formerly SXC Health Solution Corp.) in its sale to UnitedHealth, its merger with Catalyst Health Solutions, Inc. and numerous acquisitions, including National Medical Health Systems, Inc., MedfusionRx, LLC, HeatlhTran, LLC, Restat, LLC, Salveo Specialty Pharmacy and Healthcare Solutions, Inc.
- PayPal, Inc. in its acquisition of Xoom Corporation and its acquisitions of Braintree, Inc./Venmo and Paydiant, Inc.
- eBay Inc. in the sale of a controlling interest in Skype to an investment group led by Silver Lake and other acquisition transactions.
- IGT in its sale to GTECH S.p.A. and its acquisition of Double Down Interactive.
- Allscripts Healthcare Solutions, Inc. in its co-investment with GI Partners and acquisition of Netsmart (2016 M&A Atlas Deal of the Year award), its merger with Eclipsys Corporation, several transactions with Misys plc, the acquisition of A4 Health Systems, Inc., the acquisition of Extended Care Information Network, Inc. and the acquisition of Advanced Imaging Concepts.