Eric J. Marandett, co-chair of Choate’s Intellectual Property Litigation Group, has more than 20 years of experience representing major pharmaceutical and biotech companies in patent infringement, licensing disputes and other intellectual property litigation. Mr. Marandett also assists clients in assessing collaborations, acquisitions and joint ventures, particularly in the life sciences industry. In 2017, Mr. Marandett was named to Who’s Who Legal’s list of top patent attorneys and 2017 Boston “Lawyer of the Year’ for Intellectual Property Litigation. He is listed in the Massachusetts Super Lawyers Top 100, The Legal 500 and Chambers USA. He has also been named a World’s Leading Patent Litigator by IAM 250 and an “IP Star” by Managing Intellectual Property.
Eric’s recent experience includes:
- Crane & Co., Inc. v. Gregory R. Jordan, et al.:Choate represented Crane & Co., Inc. in a trade secret misappropriation and breach of contract litigation filed in 2016 in Massachusetts Superior Court. Crane alleged that a former Crane engineer and company formed by that engineer misappropriated Crane’s trade secrets and breached a confidentiality and non-disclosure agreement in filing patent applications disclosing Crane’s confidential and trade secret information. Crane also filed claims for conversion, unjust enrichment, and violation of M.G.L. c. 93A. The parties ultimately entered into a settlement agreement and dismissed the litigation in March 2018.
- Shire ViroPharma Inc. v. CSL Behring LLC & CSL Behring GmbH, D. Del.: lead counsel to Shire in patent infringement action relating to the treatment of hereditary angioedema.
- Shire LLC v. Abhai LLC, D. Mass: currently representing Shire in Hatch-Waxman litigation involving generic versions of ADDERALL XR®.
- Foundation Medicine, Inc. v. Guardant Health, Inc.: counsel for FMI in an ongoing action for patent infringement brought by FMI against competitor Guardant Health, Inc. related to methods for analyzing tumor samples for somatic mutations using hybridization capture and next generation sequencing.
- Green Cross Corp. v. Shire Human Genetic Therapies, Inc., PTAB:currently representing Shire before the U.S. Patent Trials and Appeal Board in Inter Partes Review filed by Green Cross Corporation.
- Adello Biologics, Inc. v. Amgen Inc.: represent Adello Biologics, LLC (Adello) in patent litigation filed by Amgen Inc. and Amgen Manufacturing Ltd. (collectively Amgen) related to Adello’s application to the FDA seeking approval of its filgrastim product as a biosimilar to Amgen’s filgrastim product sold under the brand name Neupogen®.
- Children’s Medical Center Corporation v. Celgene Corporation, D. Mass: lead counsel to Celgene in breach of contract litigation regarding exclusive license agreement related to Revlimid and Pomalyst.
- Alnylam Pharmaceuticals, Inc. vs. Dicerna Pharmaceuticals, Inc.: counsel to Alnylam Pharmaceuticals in trade secret misappropriation lawsuit brought against Dicerna Pharmaceuticals.
Eric is a member of the American Bar Association Intellectual Property and Litigation sections, the American Intellectual Property Law Association, the Boston Bar Association and the Massachusetts Bar Association. He is also on the board of Lawyers Committee for Civil Rights and was on the Executive Leadership Team for American Heart Association’s Lawyers Have Heart. In addition, he has been Counselor of the Boston IP Inn of Courts. Mr. Marandett is also active in the Dana Farber Leadership Council.