Dean Shulman is a tax partner in the New York office of Kirkland & Ellis LLP. He represents clients on a wide range of U.S. and international tax matters, including mergers, acquisitions, divestitures, tax-free spin-offs, leveraged buyouts, initial public offerings and the formation of funds. Dean has extensive experience advising on and structuring real estate transactions, including partnership workouts and restructurings, and like-kind exchanges, as well as transactions involving the formation and operation of partnerships, limited liability companies, joint ventures, real estate investment trusts and real estate funds. He also has represented regulated investment companies, publicly traded partnerships and investment partnerships.
Dean received his JD and LLM from New York University School of Law and his AB from Muhlenberg College.
- Bristol-Myers Squibb in its pending $90 billion acquisition of Celgene.
- Danaher Corporation in its $21.4 billion acquisition of the biopharma business of General Electric.
- GlaxoSmithKline in its $12.7 billion joint venture with Pfizer to combine their consumer health businesses.
- Special Committee of the Board of Directors of Spectrum Brands in connection with the $10 billion merger of Spectrum Brands and HRG Group.
- Wyndham Worldwide in its spin-off of its hotel business to create two separate publically-traded hospitality companies.
- The Blackstone Group in its $4.8 billion acquisition of Aon pic’s technology-enabled benefits and HR platform.
- Mead Johnson Nutrition in its $17.9 billion sale of Reckitt Benckiser Group pic.
- Micro Focus International pic in its pending $8.8 billion “Reverse Morris Trust” acquisition of Hewlett Packard Enterprise Company’s software business.
- Nexstar Broadcasting Group in connection with its $4.6 billion acquisition of Media General.
- Baxalta Incorporated in its $32 billion merger with Shire pic.
- Corning Inc. in connection with the exchange of its 50% ownership interest in Dow Corning Corp.
- Blackstone Group in its $820 million investment in NCR Corporation.
- Molson Coors Brewing Co. in its $12 billion acquisition of SABMiller pic’s interest in MillerCoors joint venture.
- KKR in its acquisition, along with Anchor Equity Partners and Ticket Monster management, of a controlling interest in Ticket Monster from Groupon.
Baxter International Inc. in the tax-free spin-off of Baxalta Inc.