David W. Evans is the Managing Partner of Haight Brown & Bonesteel’s San Francisco office. He is the leader of the Professional Liability Practice Group and a member of the Risk Management & Insurance Law Practice Group. He also acts as General Counsel for the firm. His practice focuses on the defense and trial of professional liability actions against lawyers and accountants, professional fee disputes and representation of insurers in coverage matters and bad faith litigation. He has worked with both domestic and London-based insurance companies in defending a wide variety of claims against lawyers and accountants.
He has over 40 years of trial experience in professional liability and commercial litigation matters and has arbitrated numerous professional fee disputes. He regularly counsels law and accounting firms on ethics and professional responsibility matters, including engagements, billing, and disengagement issues, intra-partnership disputes and, in the case of law firms, disqualification motions, attorney-client privilege matters and work product disputes. He is a frequent speaker at continuing education programs involving loss prevention, professional ethics, and risk management, for both lawyers and accountants.
- University of California at Los Angeles (JD, 1977)
- University of Southern California (BA, 1974)
- American Bar Association, Litigation Section - Professional, Officers' and Directors' Liability Committee
- Tort, Trial and Insurance Practice Section - Professional Liability Committee
- Bar Association of San Francisco, Arbitrator, Fee Arbitration Disputes Panel - 1988-Present
- Claims and Litigation Management Alliance