Dan’s experience across a wide array of real estate, renewable energy, and general business matters, together with his unwavering emphasis on client service, positions him well to represent a range of developers, owners, operators, and investors, and a diverse group of other businesses and principals in connection with sophisticated real estate, renewable energy, and other transactional matters.
Dan provides trusted advice that is comprehensive, efficient, and appropriately tailored to the matter at hand. His advocacy is zealous, powerful and unrelenting, and he works collaboratively and responsively with his clients to help them achieve their goals and objectives.
Dan is a Co-Chair of the firm's Energy and Natural Resources Practice Group. Throughout his career, in addition to his transactional real estate, commercial contracting and general business law practices, Dan has practiced regularly in the rapidly expanding and constantly evolving solar energy space. This includes representing an impressive mix of independent power producers and other project developers, system owners, and host site owners in connection with the development, due diligence, purchase or potential purchase, sale or potential sale, construction, financing, operation, maintenance, dispute resolution, and/or asset management, of hundreds of megawatts of solar energy generation facilities in the aggregate.
Representative matters throughout Dan’s career include:
- Representation of solar independent power producers in connection with early-, middle- and late-stage project development, and operating assets, including:
- Performing due diligence on, structuring, negotiating, documenting, and advising throughout the development process and operations, regarding the purchase, development, operation and/or sale of solar photovoltaic facilities, including ground- and roof-mounted systems and carport arrays, utility-scale, distributed generation, and community solar gardens, in a variety of jurisdictions;
- Drafting, reviewing and negotiating a multitude of solar energy transaction documents, including power purchase agreements, EPC contracts, operations and maintenance agreements, contracts for the purchase and sale of SRECs, leases, licenses, options, easements, and other site-related documentation, purchase and sale documentation, documentation governing project financing, corporate documentation, and a host of other commercial contracts; and
- Resolving high-stakes, complex disputes in connection with solar energy transactions, including development and construction disputes, financial disputes, disputes concerning the purchase and sale of SRECs, corporate disputes, disputes concerning real estate, disputes concerning confidentiality and non-competition, and other highly-sensitive and bet-the-company business disputes.
- Representation of landlords and tenants in connection with the leasing of iconic, Class A buildings; trophy residential space; industrial, medical, and retail space; renewable energy production; ground leases, master leases and other long term, single tenant arrangements; and lease disputes;
- Representation of local, regional, national and international developers in connection with a variety of real estate assets and real estate finance matters, including market-leading commercial office properties, shopping centers and malls, industrial and light-industrial facilities, and among the most prestigious residential properties in the Philadelphia area; and
- In effect serving the role of outside general counsel to companies of widely varying size and market-share across multiple industries.
Before Fox Rothschild
After graduating from Harvard Law School, Dan began his legal career in the finance and real estate department of a prestigious international law firm. While in law school, Dan served as a summer clerk in the chambers of the Honorable Richard B. Klein of the Superior Court of Pennsylvania. Dan has also served as Co-President of Brown University’s chapter of Omicron Delta Epsilon, the international honor society in economics.
Beyond Fox Rothschild
Dan is a life-long, accomplished musician (having played at the professional level since a relatively young age), and an avid competitive equestrian. He is also involved with a number of animal-related, and land and environmental conservation charities.
Honors & Awards
- Named among the “Best Attorneys in Business” by Philly Biz (2016)
- Real Estate
- Energy & Natural Resources
- Renewable Energy & Project Development
- Harvard Law School (J.D., 2006)
- Brown University (A.B., magna cum laude, 2003)