Charlie Yovino is the principal for Global HR GRC, and is a writer and speaker on HR governance, risk management, and compliance (GRC). His most recent book is Undivided Loyalty: Retirement Plan Governance and How to Reduce and Manage Fiduciary Risk. Prior to creating Global HR GRC, Charlie led the Atlanta Global HR Services (GHRS) practice for PwC and was a national resource for HR and benefit plan GRC, focusing on financial management, risk management and controls, transaction effectiveness, and HR operational excellence.
Prior to joining PwC, Charlie was a tax/ERISA associate with a Washington, DC law firm, and served as a Senior Reviewer in the Employee Plans Technical and Actuarial Division in the National Office of the IRS.
Charlie received his B.A. (cum laude) in history (with honors) from Hofstra University, a J.D. from American University, and a Masters of Law in Taxation from Georgetown University Law Center.
Among the variety of projects on which Charlie consulted, are:
- Design and administrative considerations for all types of qualified and nonqualified retirement plans, including preparation of administrative manuals and quality controls
- Compliance, controls, risk management and governance reviews covering all plan and benefit types (including qualified retirement plans, nonqualified plans, COBRA, HIPAA, ACA, cafeteria plans, and others), which in the aggregate benefit approximately 3 million participants
- Developing strategy and implementation roadmap for global HR compliance organization
- Evaluate global benefit plan governance, compliance and risk management and propose strategy to improve GRC
- Training of plan committee members and employee benefits and internal audit personnel
- Work-flow and staffing studies of employee benefits departments
- Plan spin-offs, mergers and terminations
- Due diligence reviews and golden parachute calculations
- Total benefit program design and implementation following corporate spin-offs
- Implementing benefits-based tax strategies, such as 404(k) dividend deductions
- Project management of complex benefit program implementations, including open enrollment, benefit outsourcing, vendor transitions, and global GRC reviews involving 7-32 countries
- Benefit plan vendor searches and reviews