Catherine Bate is a Partner in Miller Thomson’s Toronto office, focusing her practice on marketing, advertising and consumer product regulatory matters.
She provides business-focused and experienced advice in respect to promotional and advertising activities in all media, including: promotional contests, games and sweepstakes, related privacy matters (including CASL/anti-spam compliance), compliance with consumer protection legislation, marketing and advertising-related agreements, and packaging and labelling requirements.
She also assists clients who require pre-clearance for their ads by Advertising Standards Canada (including, in particular, ads for food, cosmetics and alcoholic beverages), and advises clients in defending or pursuing advertising challenges. Her expertise also includes consumer product safety and, when necessary, recalls.
Cathy works with companies in all industry sectors, including consumer packaged goods companies, retailers, advertising agencies, direct sellers and Internet marketers, whether based in Canada, the United States, or abroad.
She is actively involved in self-regulatory and new legislative developments that affect the marketing and advertising sector. Cathy previously served as Chair of the Consumer Law Sub-committee of the Ontario Bar Association’s Business Law Section, and Chair of the Marketing Practices Sub-committee of the Canadian Bar Association’s Competition Law Section.
Cathy is a leading lawyer in the area of Advertising and Marketing, recognized in the 2013 and 2014 editions of Best Lawyers in Canada (Woodward/White), who also named her 2012 Lawyer of the Year in her area of practice. She has also been listed in the Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory and the Lexpert® / American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada.
- J.D., University of Toronto, 2001
- B.A., University of Toronto, 1998
- Best Lawyers in Canada, Advertising and Marketing
- Canadian Legal Lexpert® Directory, Marketing, Advertising and Regulatory Law
- The Lexpert®/American Lawyer Guide to the Leading 500 Lawyers in Canada (Advertising & Marketing Law – Toronto)
- Lawyer of the Year, Best Lawyers in Canada, Advertising and Marketing, 2012, 2018
- Lexpert® Rising Stars Canada's Leading Lawyers Under 40 - 2012
- Chambers Canada, Advertising, Marketing and Data Protection