Caroline Williams is based in Walkers’ Cayman Islands office where she is a partner in the firm’s Global Investment Funds Group and Global Corporate Group. She has a broad private funds practice specialising in both hedge funds and private equity.
Caroline has extensive experience advising private equity fund sponsors on the structuring and formation of funds and co-investment and alternative investment vehicles and the completion of transactions undertaken by them.
Caroline has broad experience advising on the sale and purchase of portfolio investments and advising on secondary transactions. Her practice also encompasses advising on initial public offerings, mergers and acquisitions, joint ventures and corporate reorganisations. Caroline acts for leading financial institutions, investment managers, including institutional sponsors of private equity and hedge funds, and also boutique and start up managers.
- Cayman Islands
- England and Wales (not practising)
- Honours Degree in Law, University of Cambridge, England.
Prior Employment Experience
- Caroline trained as a solicitor with Linklaters, London where she remained after qualification in 1996, working in Linklaters’ International Finance Department. Caroline advised there on a wide range of capital markets and structured finance transactions.
Boards and Associations
Caroline is a member of the Law Society of England and Wales and a frequent speaker at industry events. Her recent engagements include:
- Women's Alternative Investment Summit 2017 - Fund Finance: Bridging and Beyond, 3 November 2017, New York City, New York.
- The International Bar Association's 16th Annual International Conference on Private Investment and Funds: Regulatory Enforcement, 9 March 2015, London
- The International Bar Association’s 14th Annual International Conference on Private Investment Funds: Conflicts and Other Ethical Issues for Fund Counsel, 11 and 12 March 2013, London
- Practising Law Institute (PLI) – Hedge Funds: Strategies and Structures for an Evolving Marketplace: Hedge Fund Structures, annual seminar in October 2010 and September 2011, 2012, 2013, 2014, 2015, 2016 and 2017 in New York City, New York
- Practising Law Institute (PLI) - Eleventh Annual Private Equity Forum: U.S. Tax Issues Driving Private Equity Fund Structuring, 12-13 July 2010, New York City, New York
- Financial Research Associates, LLC (FRA) - Hedge Fund Regulation and Compliance: Investor Concerns: Redemptions, Gates and Side Letters, 2 February 2010, New York City, New York
Caroline is consistently ranked as a leading lawyer in prominent legal directories, including the Chambers Global Guide, Legal 500, IFLR 1000, International Who’s Who of Private Funds Lawyers and Legal Media Group's Guide to the World's Leading Lawyers. Most recently, Caroline was recognised as a "seasoned practitioner with expertise advising on the formation of large private equity funds for investment in numerous sectors including real estate and mining" in the 2017 Chambers Global Guide. The 2016 Chambers Global Guide noted that clients "value and respect her advice in relation to complex structuring matters". She was recognised in the 2016 Legal 500 directory as being able to "both advise on complex issues and defuse difficult situations". The 2015 Chambers Global Guide noted that Caroline Williams “has a great personality and is a pleasure to work with – she handles difficult situations very well”. The 2015 edition of the Legal 500 directory recognised Caroline as being "phenomenal" and "incredibly responsive, commercial and knowledgeable" as well as having an "especially strong work ethic".
- April 2016: "The Truth About Cayman" – Private Equity International
- 2016: "Mergers and Acquisitions Report 2016 – Cayman Islands" - IFLR
- October 2014: “New Legislation Modernizes the Law Governing Cayman Islands Funds” – Debevoise & Plimpton Private Equity Report
- November 2013: Practical Law's "Private Equity in the Cayman Islands: Market and Regulatory Overview"
- April 2013: "Private Equity Roundtable" – Financier Worldwide
- May 2012: "The PE Push in Africa" – The Deal magazine
- April 2012: "Private Equity Roundtable" – Financier Worldwide
- April 2011: "A Comparison by Practitioners of Delaware and Cayman Islands Limited Partnerships" - Bloomberg Law Reports