Anne P. Ray is a Senior Claims Attorney in the Global Management Liability group at Markel Insurance in Chicago, where she oversees public and private company D&O claims, as well as employment and fiduciary claims. Prior to joining Markel in 2018, she was a partner at Jenner & Block, LLP in Chicago, where she concentrated her practice on professional liability litigation, defending lawyers and law firms in pending or threatened legal malpractice and related claims. She continues to speak and write regularly on all things ethics.
Ms. Ray is active in the Chicago legal community as a member of the Illinois Supreme Court Committee on Professional Responsibility. She serves on the Illinois Supreme Court Access to Justice Small Claims Forms subcommittee and was the chair of the Chicago Bar Association’s Professional Responsibility Committee from 2016-2018. She serves on the Advisory Council of Between Friends, a non-profit organization dedicated to breaking the cycle of domestic violence and building a community free of abuse, and on the Board of Directors of the Chicago Children’s Theater. She is also a member of the Chicago Council of the American Writer’s Museum.
Representative Publications and Speaking Engagements
- “Ethical Issues Unique to the Consumer Space and Class Actions,” Practising Law Institute’s Annual Consumer Financial Services Conference, June 26, 2018; May 8, 2018; May 5, 2017
- “Beyond the Reasonable Fee Standard: The Ethics of Attorney’s Fees in a World of Alternate Fee Arrangements,” ClearLaw webinar, December 14, 2017
- “Navigating Conflicts of Interest in Securities Class Actions,” The Review of Securities and Commodities Regulation, August 2017
- “Attorney Fees & Ethics: It Pays to Be Reasonable,” National Association of Legal Fee Analysis webinar, April 27, 2017
- “Manage Your Risk with Concurrent Client Conflicts,” Lorman Education Services webinar, October 27, 2016
- “Navigating the Complex World of Conflicts,” Practical Law, August/September 2015