Andy Roth specializes in cutting edge technology and the complex legal and operational issues they raise. A former chief privacy officer at American Express, his unique background in law and technology helps him design client-focused strategies for accelerating new products and services to market.
Andy regularly advises clients on a range of issues, including:
- Data breach, crisis management and business • continuity planning
- Privacy notices, online privacy statements and privacy choices
- Data lifecycle management and data leakage prevention
- Compliance and operational risk management
- Privacy and security contractual requirements
- Privacy and security policies and training
- E-Commerce and online transactions
- Privacy audits and risk assessments
- Privacy and security litigation
- Cross-border data transfers
- Secure data architecture
He is a prominent thought leader on digital payments, virtual currencies and cybersecurity, providing insight into the unique regulatory challenges surrounding next generation financial services.
Andy maintains close relationships with thought leaders in Silicon Valley, Washington, DC, and around the world, and he has gained a reputation as both a privacy advocate and a technology evangelist.
Before joining Cooley, he was the co-chair of Dentons' global Privacy and Cybersecurity group.
Prior to Dentons, Andy was the chief privacy officer at American Express. Under his leadership, American Express was ranked "The #1 Most Trusted Company for Privacy" four years in a row by the Ponemon Institute, while launching bold new digital partnerships and initiatives. During his tenure, he was responsible for ensuring the privacy of more than 100 million customers and 60,000 employees worldwide. Andy built a progressive global program based on the principles of Privacy by Design, where
policies, capabilities and stakeholders were fully integrated within the risk management framework of the bank.
- Hot Topics for Global Financial Institutions: Global Privacy and Cyber-• Security (June 2015)
- Critical Employment Issues Facing Multi-National Employers (December 2014)
- Dailydooh Media Conference (October 2014)
- DC Office CLE Data Breach and Crisis Management (October 2014)
- Bitcoin CLE with Marco Santori NYSBA (October 2014)
- 2014 Media Law Conference, Privacy Breakout Sessions (September 2014)
- Speaker, "Blockchain: Bitcoin and Beyond," Cooley Fintech Workshop, September 2016
University of Michigan
Fordham University School of Law
The Center on Law and Information Policy - Advisory Board member
The Responsible Information Management Council - Former Advisory Board member
The Centre for Information Policy Leadership - Former Advisory Board member
The Future of Privacy Forum - Former Advisory Board member