Stephanie Hamon joined Barclays Legal on 1 December 2015 as a Managing Director and Head of External Engagement and reports into the Legal Function Manager to the Group General Counsel. Stephanie joins us from a background in various law firms. She brings with her more than 15 years’ experience gained working across an extensive range of legal and financial institutions, including Linklaters and Clifford Chance, in markets including the UK, Continental Europe and Asia Pacific. Stephanie has extensive expertise in business development, strategy formulation and execution and client-focused relationship management all of which provides a perfect skill set for taking on this crucially important role in Barclays Legal.
External Engagement: A new team for legal
In this newly created role, Stephanie leads a team responsible for defining and executing the legal function commercial management strategy, thus optimising our considerable external legal spend. They are aiming to ensure Barclays sends the right work, to the right firm at the right price. The team works to:
- Articulate our commercial strategy, including identifying and delivering cost efficiencies and savings which balance against our quality and effectiveness needs
- Proactively manage our law firm relationships (and other legal suppliers) and work to identify areas of growth, development and change for our mutual benefit
- Ensure that our key commercial processes and controls are identified, established and embedded across the function, supported by automation where appropriate.
- Define clear metrics and measures for demonstrating commercial effectiveness and provide meaningful reporting to demonstrate performance and progress against defined strategic goals.
- Define Legal’s requirements and approach around our law firms Panel
- Operate as a single team to provide all related activities such as the LTS, relationship management capabilities and provide clear recommendations on improvements to technology, resources and process.