Sean M. Murphy is a partner in the New York office of Milbank, Tweed, Hadley & McCloy and a member of the firm’s Litigation & Arbitration Group. Prior to joining Milbank in 2004, Mr. Murphy was a partner in the New York office of Clifford Chance LLP, where he was a member of that firm’s Securities Litigation practice group.
Mr. Murphy’s practice focuses on complex securities matters. He has defended dozens of companies and financial institutions in multi-jurisdictional class action and derivative litigation under state and federal securities laws, including claims under the Securities Act of 1933, the Securities Exchange Act of 1934 and the Investment Company Act of 1940. He has extensive experience representing investment advisers and mutual fund boards in litigation and regulatory investigations involving management fees, revenue sharing, conflicts of interest, prospectus disclosure, distribution and trading, ERISA prohibited transactions, portfolio mismanagement, Rule 12b-1, board oversight and fiduciary duty litigation. He represents clients in regulatory and enforcement proceedings before the SEC, CFTC, FINRA and state regulators.
Mr. Murphy has represented some of the largest financial institutions in the country and has extensive experience trying securities cases, including multi-billion dollar cases.
- The American Lawyer’s “Fab Fifty” under the age of 45
- Benchmark Litigation, “Top 100 Trial Lawyers in America” (2017-2018
- The Lawdragon 500 Leading Lawyers in America
- Legal 500: “one of the best young lawyers for securities shareholder litigation, anywhere in the country.”
- Lawdragon: “100 Lawyers You Need to Know in Securities Litigation”
- The Lawdragon 500 New Stars, New Worlds
- Mr. Murphy also has been consistently recognized as a leading securities lawyer in Chambers USA, Benchmark Litigation and New York Super Lawyers.
Mr. Murphy has spoken on dozens of panels about complex litigation and regulatory issues, and has written a number of articles. He also co-authored portions of the textbooks titled Practice Before the Judicial Panel on Multi-District Litigation and Litigating Securities Class Actions. Mr. Murphy received his B.A. from St. Lawrence University, and his J.D. from Albany Law School-Union University.