Roland Trope is a partner at Trope and Schramm LLP, New York City, and an Adjunct Professor in the Departments of Law and of Electrical Engineering and Computer Science at the U.S. Military Academy at West Point.
Mr. Trope has a national security practice in which he represents high tech companies, government contractors, and allied ministries of defense. He advises senior officials, officers, and Boards of Directors on cross-border mergers and acquisitions, reviews by the Committee on Foreign Investment in the United States (CFIUS), compliance with trade regulations (e.g., “dual use” export controls, defense trade controls, trade sanctions, anti-bribery and antimony laundering), tech transfers and licensing, corporate governance and ethics, cybersecurity, defense procurements, and protection of intellectual property rights in government contracts.
Mr. Trope’s publications include more than 30 articles and the following books, chapters, and recent articles:
- GUIDE TO CYBERSECURITY DUE DILIGENCE IN M&A TRANSACTIONS, 2017 (co-editor and contributing author);
- SAILING IN DANGEROUS WATERS: A DIRECTOR’S GUIDE TO DATA GOVERNANCE, 2006 (co-author);
- CHECKPOINTS IN CYBERSPACE: BEST PRACTICES FOR AVERTING LIABILITY IN CROSS-BORDER TRANSACTIONS, 2005 (co-author);
- Duty to Advise Clients Concerning Use of Cyber and Other Digital Technologies, chapter in THE ABA
CYBERSECURITY HANDBOOK, 2ND EDITION, 2017;
- Reckoning with the Hacker Age: Cybersecurity Developments, THE BUSINESS LAWYER, Winter 2017/2018 (first author);
- Hacking Away at Trust: Significant Developments in Cybersecurity 2015 – 2016, THE BUSINESS LAWYER, Winter 2016/2017 (first author);
- Mettle Fatigue: VW’s Single-Point-of-Failure Ethics, IEEE SECURITY & PRIVACY, January/February 2016 (first author);
- What Made the Ostrich Lift Its Head? Significant Developments in Cybersecurity 2014 – 2015, THE BUSINESSLAWYER, Winter 2015/2016;
- Surprise in the Package Deal with Iran, BUSINESS LAW TODAY, August 2015; and,
- Threading Needles
He currently serves as:
- Co-Chair, Intellectual Property Committee, ABA Public Contracts Section;
- Co-Chair, India Committee, ABA Section of International Law;
- Vice-Chair, Export Controls and Economic Sanctions Committee, ABA Section of International Law;
- Co-Chair, Cybersecurity Subcommittee, Cyberspace Law Committee, ABA Business Section; and
- Chair of Procurement and Ethics Commission and Member of the Board of Directors, International Society for Military Law and the Law of War.
Mr. Trope was a Marshall Scholar and Danforth Fellow. He earned a J.D. at Yale Law School, a B.A. and M.A. at Oxford University, and a B.A. at the University of Southern California.
He can be contacted at firstname.lastname@example.org.